Takasu Dainichi dake. North east slopes seem to have bonded well. But South west slopes have a nasty ice layer. Just walking without crampons is dangerous. LAst weeks damm rain. The backside bowl is a death trap waiting to be sprung. Dig a pit if you want to ski anything on the South face around the Takasu area. That said always dig a pit.

Yes you do check for layers in the snow. You try to see bonding, and do various snow tests. On this day another group did it talked to them before they said they would dig a pit and I saw it. The ice layer was easy to find on the ridge I walked to the Sw side to take a wiss and under 20 cms was pure ice. Didnt wiss there.

Fattwins,

Do you carry a snow saw? My BD saw that goes into a handle is alomst useless, too short. I am thinking using a twine with knots on them so that I can use it to cut the back side of the pit I dig (ARAI avy guys use them). Have you used something like this?

I think its better to by the cable for that test.

My saw goes into the handle and it seems long enough for my. If your talking about the rutschblock test you can use a cable and probes and it saves the time of digging it all out.

I have never seen it done with rope to be honest, my buddies were old school. How long is your saw.

I did a course with avalanche Dave (Enright) the other week and he showed us how to cut a rutschblock with a knotted rope. It only took a couple of minutes.

He said that one of the BC equipment makers sells a special cable for the job. It will cut through hard snow better than a knotted rope, but will also scratch (or even cut) your probes.

No Fakie can we meet one day this week. looking at Cortina to start on Sat. mon 47 tues and Sun undecided depends on weather. Whats your plan.

Didnt know that the cable could cut your probes though. I think it takes at least 2 people right.

Woul like to know how to make one of those things.