Japanese quiz: 間違い探し

Arimasu needs an additional Ri okuri-gana, and kudasai needs sa.

Most importantly, the Japanese written doesn´t make sense. You can´t lift up the safety bar and hood and go forward at the same time.

Jynxx in first:

Arimasu needs an additional Ri okuri-gana, and kudasai needs sa.

Pretty good for an Australian! ;)

Most importantly, the Japanese written doesn´t make sense. You can´t lift up the safety bar and hood and go forward at the same time.

...Are you sure? According to Makino & Tsutsui, "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar," while ordinarily the first verb should end in て when one action follows another directly, if there is additional information before the second verb, then using the ます-form verb stem is acceptable for the first verb. They give the following example:

Usual case:

○   エビは殻をむいて炒めます。

×   エビは殻をむき炒めます。

But:

○   エビは殻をむいてサラダ油で軽く炒めます。

○   エビは殻をむきサラダ油で軽く炒めます。

where サラダ油で軽く is the additional information before the second verb.

Based on this, I would have guessed that due to the presence of まっすぐ前へ in front of お進み下さい, then the choice between 持ち上げ and 持ち上げて would be a stylistic one. (And if I were to ponder matters of style, I might wonder if 注意下さい might not want to be ご注意下さい in order to match the politeness level established by お進み下さい in the previous sentence...)

But, I am certainly not a native speaker, or even a particularly good non-native one, so would prefer to hear the opinion of one. Do you think Makino & Tsutsui's example would be applicable here?

, I might wonder if 注意下さい might not want to be ご注意下さい in order to match the politeness level established by お進み下さい in the previous sentence...)

Good point.

Actually it does need an additional ご.

ご注意下さい is much better.

TBH, everone would understand what it means by the context. Only an American would have an accident and sue for compo ;)

It just doesn´t sound good you know.

I would write

Mochi-agetekara

(Mochi- ageta nochi)

(Mochi- ageta ato)

I think they are doing it to save some hiragana stickers

But (i write this as p.s) the grammer book is correct.

Now it makes sense to me. I never looked at it that way.

Cheers

MO I´m really impressed that you notice it and have deep consideration about the Japanese language. Only if the Japanese themselves do that they would be speaking correct Japanese . I think the language is in decline for the last 30 years. We were told so as teenagers ourselves.

It´s very rare and with due respect. Good on you. Maybe as a non native speaker, you question things that native speakers don´t, and won´t have an answer to.

I think you and Bobby12 are one of the few who understands Japanese at this level, and in a way, goes deeper than elementary school level.

For full disclosure, it was my elementary school-age kid who first noticed the missing さ, which led me to pay attention (and led me to notice the missing り after that).

That is why I used the tagline I did ("Are you smarter than an elementary school student?").

:)

According to my wife (who happens to be a Japanese teacher) those aren't really mistakes (but maybe she doesn't want to admit missing them the first time around). Something about there not being a standard way to write kanji like that... I was like, "hmm... yeah... (sounds like the kind of shit I spew when I don't really know the reason for something... :) )". The fact that 下さい is written two different ways is kind of a give away though :lol: