Hey guys, so I finally joined the forums :-)

I've never been to Japan before (never been outside Australia in fact!) and am going skiing in Hakuba next month (march). My problem is I have a terrible allergy to crustaceans. Is this common in Japan? I understand English is not common in Hakuba, so how would I explain to restaurant staff that I can't eat prawn, crab and crayfish? The last thing I need on my dream holiday is a trip to the hospital!

Cheers for any help!

Just say

Kai (shellfish) o taberarenai

Means

I cant eat shellfish.

Sorted.

Not quite sorted MIJ. Ebi and Kani aren't shellfish and Kai doesn't cover them in Japanese either.

Well, yes...but no, not really,,,actually in strict terms shellfish is more narrowly defined as bivalve filter feeders.....clams, oysters, mussels, scallops and the like.

I knew that marine biology degree would come in handy some day... :lol:

Well, yes...but no, not really,,,actually in strict terms shellfish is more narrowly defined as bivalve filter feeders.....clams, oysters, mussels, scallops and the like.

I knew that marine biology degree would come in handy some day... :lol:

And how do you say that in Japanese?

Ebi to kani allergi aru node taberaremasen.

If that doesn't work than just say, "Ebi, kani, kai dame!" then cross your arms in an X. Then grab your throat and make a choking face.

Seriously though, you'll want to be careful about that allergy because several of the things you mentioned show up in food in weird ways that you won't expect. Like crab being used in the broth for miso soup.

Hey all, thanks for the replies!

Ok, so maybe I didn't explain myself properly :-)

My allergy is to crustaceans only. I have no problem with molluscs (oysters, scallops, mussels). I think I might go and ask the lovely lady at the bento shop across the road to write it on a card for me. She is very excited for us to be visiting her home country and I'm sure she wouldn't mind. We eat there a few times a week and she knows my problem, so that might be the best bet!

I'll let you all know how I get on!

Goldcoastskier,

How bad is your allergy?

Do you carry an epipen? If the allergy is severe and you don't yet, I would consider it.

If it is less pronounced I would be carrying some antihistamines for sure.

In situations that I have been able to preempt all across the world, not just in Japan, I have made myself some preprinted pages with whatever the critical information/statement/questions are in the language of the country in which I am traveling. Having it printed means you can whip it out when you can't remember what it was you were supposed to say, or in a fluster you can just show it.

Why not make yourself a little laminated card for your ski jacket pocket, and another for your town jacket that says what you are allergic to, and what to do in an emergency. Have it in English, and both Japanese romaji (so you can pronounce it) and text.

It may also be worth carrying it in pictures. Especially so if you intend on becoming a world traveler, then there can be no ambiguity with dialect or illiteracy or misunderstanding of your dodgy Google Translate translation. Just stick a picture of each item you can not eat with a big red cross through them, and if there are types of seafood you can eat, a few pictures of them with a blue tick.

Thanks Mama

I think I might go with the picture card idea. I was thinking that would be the best idea anyways, it will probably minimize the risk. And no, I don't have to carry an epipen, my allergy is more like an intolerance, but still, I don't want to have to spend a day in bed recovering!

Also I am waiting on Yakkan Shoumei to arrive because I have to take pills with me. Anyone else that needs to take medication, I thoroughly recommend completing your application and emailing the pharmaceuticals inspector to ask if it is filled in correctly. They were extremely helpful.

Japan has no problems with HIV+ travellers bringing anti-retrovirals, but you do need Yakkan Shoumei. A good website for positive travellers is www.hivtravel.org as there are still quite a few countries that discriminate. Like I'm going to spread AIDS or something LOL!

Or how about getting the Japanese tattooed onto your forehead?

Would certainly be a conversation starter. :D

especially if the tatoo artist wrote the wrong kanji.. :lol:

葡萄 をたべない!

Or how about getting the Japanese tattooed onto your forehead?

Would certainly be a conversation starter. :D

especially if the tatoo artist wrote the wrong kanji.. :lol:

葡萄 をたべない!

Haha...no fruit salad then. :lol: