I am planning on doing a lot of backcountry (gonna go nuts on this experience). I have never used snowshoes before and I am most likely going to rent them when needed. I do have trekking poles (collapsible) and was wondering if I should bring a set over.

I am trying to limit the weight of my checked baggage (one snowboard bag containing everything) to under 20kg and every bit of weight matters.

For Niseko backcountry, and other backcountry areas, do you guys/gals carry trekking poles?

Yeah, I'll take them. Checked baggage is at approx 23kg but just found out that China Airlines allows one bag for hand luggage and another for personal stuff. That means I can move some of the heavier stuff into hand luggage. Naturally poles will need to be checked-in.

I get into Hirafu on afternoon of 2 Feb. First day of boarding will be 3 Feb (to shake off the summer cobwebs). It will probably take a solid day to get the feel again and get use to riding some powdery stuff. Not sure about what is happening as my 'travel partner' has gone to Colorado instead. Soloing this time around.