Im not sure if anybody is in the market for a new pair of skis, but just thought Id let people know, somebody is selling a bunch of Icelantic skis on Yahoo Auction. Depending on the model, the start prices range from 25700 to 31000 and the "buy it now" prices from 32-39k.

I bought a pair of these in a similar sale last year, check my review here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/gear-reviews/ski-review-004-icelantic-the-keeper.html

I absolutely love these skis!

So far, only one person has bid on any of these skis and the auctions end today and tomorrow - Id say that if you could get a pair of these at the start price it would be an absolute steal and even at "the buy it now" price would be a very good buy.

Those Gypsy's look amazing, but having already bought a pair last year, I cant really justify it myself.

Gary, do you have a direct link? I was thinking of making a jaunt up to Tokyo over the next few weeks to get a fatter ski but yahoo auctions is always a good option.

EDIT...Belay that order....found them thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gary,

Read your review of the "Keeper". I've been eyeing the 184cm Shaman set but they don't come with bindings. I'm going to contact the shop that is running the auction and see if they can install bindings. Did you put the Markers on yourself? If you've checked out the DIY thread you can see I'm pretty handy but still....I've never done a binding install. Also, I'm thinking the 184's might be a bit long for my 1.76m 80kg frame. The Shaman is narrower than the Keeper though. Any thoughts?

I managed to get my bindings put on in the shop where I bought them in Ochanomizu, however it was not easy. I went around all the shops there just wanting any binding which I'd be able to get a brake big enough for. The ones I went with where Marker Squires, but none of the shops could fit them as they use a template that fits over the ski to show where to drill the holes and the marker one, or any other brands available would not fit over the ski which is 119mm at the waist. In the end, I managed to persuade one shop to remove the rubber protectors on the brackets of the template which hold onto the sides of the ski and this allowed the marker template thing to just fit over the ski and he could drill the holes - it cost around 2man yen for the binding and they fit them for nothing. Other stores were quoting 5000 yen for fitting if I didnt buy the binding from them. If you decide to install the bindings yourself, then I would say measure, measure again and measure a third time and drill once - I've never done it before, but from what Ive heard, I think you need to be quite precise. Perhaps someone who has actually done a binding install could give you some more advice there.

As for sizing, Im around 170cm, 70kg and got the keeper in, I think 167. This is a very manageable size for me and I cant help but wonder if I wouldnt have been better with a 178 - I definitely dont think it would be too much for me and Im not an expert skier, by any means. Icelantic quote the following sizing for your height: 5’ 8” to 6’ - 173 to 179, so the ski is perhaps slightly bigger than their recommendation. Id say if you go shorter, you will gain a bit of maneuverability if you ski a lot of tight trees and so on, longer you will gain a bit more float in the pow and a bit more stability at speed. If you really wanted to go shorter, you might want to ask the guy in your mail to him if he has another size in stock - usually he puts one of each ski on yahoo auction, lets them sell, and then a couple of days later he puts up another batch sometimes in different sizes - obviously he doesnt want to put them on all at once as he probably wont get as much for them. I think he sold a pair of Keepers in a 178 the other day which would have been perfect for your size - you might want to ask if he has another pair. Dont worry about the width (apart from getting a binding fitted!).

Another point about the sizing - the skis he's putting up in the size icelantic recommend for your size tend to be going at a slightly higher price - usually at the "buy it now" price, so if he puts up a pair of shamans in a 173 they are likely to go for 36k whereas the 184s tend to be going at the starting price of 29k. The keepers in the 178 went at the buy it now of 39k. Id say for a few thousand yen difference though, its probably best to go for the ones you feel would be the better size for you, but if you do decide to wait to see if he puts a smaller size up, it might be best to just take the "buy it now" option before somebody else does.

Thanks Gary. The seller is closed today so I will have to ask tomorrow. In the mean time though..

I've got my eye on a number of other skis as well. This one is my first choice actually and the price isn't too bad....and no hassle of finding a tuner to install the bindings. Graphics are a little more subdued as well. Again, they're on the tall side but I used to use 205's way back in the day....haha.

http://page2.auction...tion/b131203449

Thanks for the heads up Gary,

I'm going up to Ochanomizu on Saturday to have a look at whats available. If I can't find anything in my size and price range I may consider the Keepers. Cheers.