It happens every year sometime in January, the time when Hakkoda reigns supreme; 420cm snow base with the distant second being Niseko at 335cm. Sure, Niseko will stay colder for longer and thus will win ground, but right here right now, nothing on Japan can touch this mountain.

But that's not the magic. The magic is that, after a solid week of storms, we are about to have probably the only blue bird day for the entire month of January. The storm shaped the mountain like a raging sea, with frozen cresting waves crashing against the snow monsters. The wind at the top? A barely noticeable 5m a sec.

I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight :D

Actually, Seki is at 510cms right now with Charmant Hiuchi at 450cms... :p but don't let that stand in the way of having a good time today. :thumbsup: (I'm just bitterly doing office work right now... :( )

(btw, Niseko Hirafu is in 8th place overall)

WTF?

That's it, I'm not going tomorow... :sj-lol:

I was just looking at the stuff up here in the north. No idea you guys got pounded that hard down there.

Your temperatures don't look good :eyes:

Kagura and Naeba look like they will avoid most of the warm temp damage with the freezing level set to be about their base stations. A couple of friends are heading up this weekend........I may tag along, will wait until tomorrow before committing