With the long weekend coming up, I'm obviously looking to hit the slopes. Everywhere I'm checking in my area is calling for OVER 60kph winds somewhere on the mountain. Appi Kogen is forecasting 75kph winds. Should I just hang it up, or have you heard of lifts/gondolas operating in this range? I noticed several places up on Hokkaido are going to be 50+kph.

If its saying 60 and 75kph winds on the reports on this site or snow report, I'd forget all about it unless it was a very sheltered resort in a valley and you weren't too bothered if you were stuck on the lower slopes. Looking at the forecast for that part of Japan I think you would have to be insanely gnarly to even think about going out tomorrow - it really does look quite bad with very strong winds. If you had to go out this weekend, maybe Sunday will be the best, but probably better to wait until tuesday or wednesday if possible.

If its saying 60 and 75kph winds on the reports on this site or snow report, I'd forget all about it unless it was a very sheltered resort in a valley and you weren't too bothered if you were stuck on the lower slopes. Looking at the forecast for that part of Japan I think you would have to be insanely gnarly to even think about going out tomorrow - it really does look quite bad with very strong winds. If you had to go out this weekend, maybe Sunday will be the best, but probably better to wait until tuesday or wednesday if possible.

Yeah,, kinda sucks. Sunday is Christmas and I can't talk the wife into a ski resort Christmas morning, so that is out the window. Tomorrow, I must concede looks rather awful in my area. Perhaps I will look to Saturday and MOnday as my opportunities. In all honesty though. If the Gondolas were running, I would go out in the storm. I refuse to pay full price for being stuck on the bunny slopes though.. I could just shovel snow in my driveway until I have a jump for tricks instead!

It sucks that your Friday and Saturday look like a write off and Sunday is a non-starter, but if you can get out Monday, winds might have died off a bit by then, if not the snow and there should be plenty of powder to play in! Id still be trying to find a resort thats not too exposed though... My "resort in a storm" is Kandatsu, but I dont know the places in your area....