Getting someone to stop driving

Here's a problem...

How do you get a proud 80 year old who thinks he is a great driver, but in reality very probably should not be driving due to poor eyesight and response times, to stop driving?

He's generally genki and in decent shape, but the family think it should be time to hang up the keys, even if it will inconvenience him and his wife and would mean a bit change in lifestyle.

Difficult.

I think drivers should really need to be evaluated regularly somehow when they get to that age.

They are actually, after turning 70. Though only at renewal time, every 5 years. Of course a lot can change in 5 years.

My Dad is 84 and had a debilitating stroke in March this year & in a rehab unit for 3 months. He worked really hard in Physio to improve motor skills in his semi paralised right arm & leg & while undergoing speech amd occupational therapy at the same time.

He is a tough old coot but the biggest problem in most stroke cases is depression after losing your independance. Six months later I took him on a driving test where he drove too fast because of his dodgy right foot and had trouble staying between the lines. I left him to come home thinking he had little chance of gettin on the road again.He rang me two weeks later proud as punch to say the department of Motor transport had given him a two year licence restricted to a maximum radius distance of 50 klm from his home. Go figure!

I am now back to worrying about him the same way as when my 17 year old was going for a licence a while back. Bloody relatives!

My Dad is 84 and had a debilitating stroke in March this year & in a rehab unit for 3 months. He worked really hard in Physio to improve motor skills in his semi paralised right arm & leg & while undergoing speech amd occupational therapy at the same time.

He is a tough old coot but the biggest problem in most stroke cases is depression after losing your independance. Six months later I took him on a driving test where he drove too fast because of his dodgy right foot and had trouble staying between the lines. I left him to come home thinking he had little chance of gettin on the road again.He rang me two weeks later proud as punch to say the department of Motor transport had given him a two year licence restricted to a maximum radius distance of 50 klm from his home. Go figure!

I am now back to worrying about him the same way as when my 17 year old was going for a licence a while back. Bloody relatives!

Interesting snowjunky.

Sounds a character bit like my dad, does he.

Wonder what the law is in the UK.