I just went to naqua shirakami yesterday and had a blast. It was my first time snowboarding and I had no instructor and picked everything up pretty quick. Planning on going to appi next week. Any advice? Has anyone been to both of these? And which one do u prefer?

Appi is even less 'open' right now than Naqua Shirakami. I just spent the weekend at Naqua myself and it was great.. I can't wait until they open up the other half of the mountain. My friends went to Appi and they have had very little snowfall. Only one lift was open but they were still charging full price. At any rate when Appi is open all the way it's a good place to go and more convenient since it is right by the toll road. Glad to hear you learned fast. Are you able to transition toe to heel all the way down the mountain already? If so, then I guess I'd say move on to switch. try riding with you back foot as the leading foot and see where that goes!

I got the toe to heel various times but I need to practice it some more...by my last run of the day I'm happy to say I only fell maybe less than 20 times. Really? Appi doesn't have enough snow? That sucks cuz we were planning on going for two days next week I guess maybe we should reconsider huh?

Just go back to naqua. ITT has a two day deal for 9600yen per person. 2 lift tickets, dinner,breakfast and hotel. Appi has no snow. My personal opinion is that Naqua is better. It's less crowded, more powder, no jpop blaring from loudspeakers, they don't care if you go off piste... The list goes on. That being said, I still do go to Appi because it is nice to change it up.

Once everything opens up there's a million places to go. Once you get really good, go play at Hakkoda, and you probably won't want to go anywhere else. I would NOT suggest going there as a beginner though. They already have 7 feet of snow though!

I looked it up...it looks crazy! And yes itt has special to appi and naqua shirakami...I'm going next week for two days and its a good deal only 11,000 yen a person...with room and dinner and breakfast and two lift pass

7feet! What is the name of that resort do u know and how far is it from misawa?

It's not that far. Half the distance that it takes to get to Naqua Shirakami. When you drive across the flight line to north base it is the range of mountains that you can see in the not so far distance. Like I said, I would NOT suggest you go there. People get lost and never found until the snow melts sometimes. It's EASY to get lost as it is almost all backcountry. It's not a resort either.. more like a couple buildings and a ropeway to get to the top. If you fall 20 times going down Naqua, you would absolutely hate it at Hakkoda anyway as getting up can take more than 10-15 minutes if you fall. Again just my suggestion, perhaps go on a guided tour and at least you won't get lost up there overnight.

For the ITT trip, is that a normal unadvertised trip or one of the advertised monthly tours? The price is pretty good and I am planning on visiting Naqua Shirakami this year.

That is a normal all the time thing.. I did it last year, and I did it again this year. And like you said it's an amazing deal considering 1 all day lift pass is 4500 yen. you're basically getting everything else for free. It MIGHT be 10% off right now, but that's all. 10% more is still a killer deal. I think they are opening up the rest of the resort this weekend, pending snowfall too!

point taken lol....appi and naqua it is ... :D thanx! so ive made my decision. my wife and i will be hopefully going to naqua again, it makes more sense since ive heard appi is still not at 100%...im super excited to go back i cant wait till they open the other half of the mountain...lol...

BTW good to have some Akita, Iwate, etc talk going on.

Keen to hear and see more.

:wave:

"The top of Japan!" I like to drive up to the sign at the tip of Aomori that says "Northernmost point in Japan" which pretty much translates to "Who cares about Hokkaido?" haha

Have you been to Naqua this year, their opening weekend was just this past one and they already had tons of snow considering how early it is in the season. I personally feel like this year will be WAYYYY better snow wise! Here's a quick vid of the conditions.