Day trip from Osaka to Hiroshima

Hi guys, my family and I are spending 4 days in Osaka after an 8 day skiing trip to Hakuba. We will have a JR pass, so were planning on doing a day trip to Hiroshima. Are there any "must see" things to do or see other than the obvious memorial?? I know we will spend a fair bit of the day traveling but would like to get the most out of it.

Any ideas appreciated.

If anyone also has a "must see" list for Osaka that would also be great.

Coutta

Osaka Castle.

I dont know hiroshima.

good luck. i really like Osaka. I enjoy just wandering around the markets and shopping districts.. the eating places are great near Shinsekai in the south section.

If you have the time Miyajima is well worth visiting. A lot of people that visit me do the hiroshima and miyajima trip. Its possible to do in one day but you will be quite rushed so i would recommend an overnight stay somewhere in hiroshima or miyajima.

As for Osaka walking around the streets is great. Also usj and the aquariam are good if thats your thing. Watching the people say oishiso when they see the fish never gets old. Osaka castle is great too but I dont like the inside and think its better from the outside, inside is too modern but thats just my opinion.

4 days might be a day too long, especially if its snowing the day you are due to leave :)

Hiroshima is an easy day trip from Osaka. Near the memorial site there is a VERY moving museum at the site. There is also a nearby castle but if you have seen Japanese castles before its nothing new. In my experience I wasn't much in the mood for much else after visiting the memorial as it really knocked me around.

If you have the time Miyajima is well worth visiting. A lot of people that visit me do the hiroshima and miyajima trip. Its possible to do in one day but you will be quite rushed so i would recommend an overnight stay somewhere in hiroshima or miyajima.

As for Osaka walking around the streets is great. Also usj and the aquariam are good if thats your thing. Watching the people say oishiso when they see the fish never gets old. Osaka castle is great too but I dont like the inside and think its better from the outside, inside is too modern but thats just my opinion.

I agree, but its the same with castles all over Japan. The outside looks much better than the re-furbished inside, often there is an info plaque that reads something like this "Nantoka Castle was first built in the year dot when Jesus was just a boy, it was taken over by a Warlord and used as the staging point for (insert name) battle. It countinued to be used by the Tokugawa Shogunate and after the Meiji restoration was an integral part of the opening of Japan. The west wing was added in 18-oatcake. Then in 1952 it was knocked down/set on fire/washed away and was rebuilt in 1969"

• 8 months later...

If you have time Miyajima is well value viewing. A lot of individuals that check out me do the hiroshima and miyajima journey. Its possible to do in one day but you will be quite hurried so i would suggest an instantaneously remain somewhere in hiroshima or miyajima.

...its the same with castles all over Japan. The outside looks much better than the re-furbished inside, often there is an info plaque that reads something like this "Nantoka Castle was first built in the year dot when Jesus was just a boy, it was taken over by a Warlord and used as the staging point for (insert name) battle. It countinued to be used by the Tokugawa Shogunate and after the Meiji restoration was an integral part of the opening of Japan. The west wing was added in 18-oatcake. Then in 1952 it was knocked down/set on fire/washed away and was rebuilt in 1969"

That's so funny but so true!!! :lol:

+1 on the recommendation to visit Miyajima, which is where you'll see the famous (as seen in all Japanese guide books) large, red, torii gate that is "floating" on water, ie, it's in the water unless you happen to visit there at low tide!! :doh: The island is also worth a wander around with some decent food and temples so yeah, I'd recommend an overnighter if you can, then you can relax on the island after your visit to the museum in Memorial Park which, as Pete said above, may well put an emotional dampener on the rest of the day's activities!

Have a good trip! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

as stated, it can be done. i did a jam packed day in Hiroshima from Osaka this summer. went to peace memorial park/museum, ate local okonomiyaki at my friend's town, took the train/ferry to miyajima, did a good deal of wandering and back to hiroshima for eats/drinks at an izakaya and back on shinkansen to Osaka. it would be considered "rushed" to those that move at a slow pace. i'd do it again.

With a JR pass you could also go to Kyoto, an easy day trip from Osaka (approx 40 minutes on rapid express), there are plenty of temples worth visiting. The covered shops there are also a great place to spend time people watching. Another trip out of Osaka worth doing is Himeji castle. One of the few wooden ones left.

In Osaka there's the ferris wheel on top of the Hep5 building, check out the icecream shop on the top floor. The escalater to the top of the Umeda Sky Building is worth a ride, and the view from the top is very good.