Just a question for those that have better than a primary school japanese grasp.

There are 5 of us going from Tokyo to Nagano. Just wondering if there was a cheap way to buy 5 tickets? I read somewhere you could get a book of 6 tickets called Kaisuuken or something. Are these available for the Nagano shinkansen? How much do they cost? Where do we get them from?

Does anyone else have other ticket sets or something they've found that works? I think with the amount of people heading to Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Nozawa O and other places, I would have thought this would be a FAQ.

are you thinking of the Jyuhachi-kippu? the 18-ticket........Think its 10k for a book of 5 BUT I don't think its valid on the Shink.........Mick or Ippy used this to get up to Hokkaido IIRC, hopefully they'll jump in with the details

Its a book of six. You can buy them at any green ticket window (i.e., travel center) at any reasonably sized station. Tokyo-Nagano is 44,700 yen for six one-ways. They're not valid at New Year.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/tickets/info.aspx?GoodsCd=1070

Its probably also possible to buy singles from a third-party discount ticket shop, which you can usually find near a big station. The premium over the kaisuuken price is usually a few hundred yen each.

So really it's not going to be any cheaper then.. One way on a non-reserved seat is 7460Y x5 = 37300Y

Thanks for the info Mr Wiggles.

Looks like I can only get the Kyoto to Tokyo leg cheaper with the Puratto Kodama thingy.. oh well, still saves 3420Y off the full price.

Ahh got my wires crossed then. Thanks TB

It still doesn't fit our travel plans, but would be helpful for others needing to go to a place that doesn't require Shinkansen or Limited express access. The only catch to mention for the Seishun 18 is that it needs to be booked before 31/Dec.

Just another question.. Are you able to buy a JR East pass and use all 4 days at once?

4 out of 5 of us are over 25, so if we got the Adult 4-day JR East pass, could we split it up between us, like you can with the Seishun 18/Jyuhachi -kippu.

We only need to go one way (staying in the snow for a week, then heading to Kyoto via the back way), so if this was doable, then it would make the fares only 5000Y each!