A BBC radio 4 science program - Material World - has an annual competition for the layman to think up an interesting experiment, the top four entries getting to carry it out with the aid of an expert in the field. Entry deadline is midnight tonight, GMT.

I've just sent off my entry, proposing to test the effectiveness of different shapes, lengths and widths of snowboard for floating on powder snow. My idea is to measure how far miniature boards sink into shredded polystyrene as a model to predict their effectiveness on powder snow. The objective is to prove or disprove recent manufacturer claims that new short boards float as well as long ones.

Unfortunately you have to live in the UK, so my entry will be rejected. If any UK residents would like to copy my idea and enter themselves, you're welcome to.

Entry form:

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../sywtbas/apply/

fishcuit! :) Has a wider waist width than the 156 fish but is, get zis! 150! A 150 pow board specifically created to be ridden 4-8cms shorter a la the nug. A couple of people are checking this out this year so itll be interesting to hear their feedback.