FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER 2011

Many didn't get the snow forecast by Derek, but as I drove up the A470 from Cardiff the new snowfall started getting deeper and deeper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2011/12/snow_disappointing.html

Welcome to the Brecon Beacons

MikePow_812.jpg

There was a good 5cm settled in the Toilets car park. More had come down overnight as evidenced by the laden conifers lining the car park, and the slopes of Cefn Crew looked to have a good coverage.

Toilets car park with the slopes of Cefn Crew in the background

MikePow_813.jpg

Met up with Chris from the Goneboarding forum who had joined me for bithday turns (mine, not his) and first turns of the Winter in the Beacons last November.

Your adventure starts here Chris

MikePow_814.jpg

And so does mine

MikePow_815.jpg

Chris on the bridge at the start of the trail. The slopes of Cefn Crew behind him. That's the best the weather would be all day.

MikePow_816.jpg

MikePow_817.jpg

Yours truly ready to make the first turns of the season. Happy Days.

MikePow_818.jpg

How cold and windy was it Chris?

MikePow_819.jpg

Me back at the bridge

MikePow_820.jpg

MikePow_821.jpg

The visibility was poor to very poor but the snow was very good. Powder and wind buffeted packed powder right back to the bridge. And it was snowing as we got back to the car park.

Fabulous to be making turns again in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Cheers

FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER 2011

continued

Chris headed back home, and I took a drive around to Brecon to see if I could see how much snow had fallen in Cwm Llwch (the bowl between Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du). I couldn't.

Pulled in to the Storey Arms car park for a cuppa and saw Colette Hume of BBC Wales News interviewing Alwyn (skier) and Scott (boarder).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16215181

MikePow_822.jpg

Scott and Alwyn then proceeded to make a little jump to jib off for the millions watching at home

And Alwyn also made Page 7 of The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4004725/Britain-on-white-alert-as-big-freeze-follows-snow.html

Scott shaping

MikePow_823.jpg

Alwyn spinning and crossing on the lower slope of Fan Fawr. Storey Arms car park in the near distance and the Cefn Crew ridgeline in the far distance

MikePow_824.jpg

MikePow_825.jpg

MikePow_826.jpg

The session completed and a great end to Alwyn's first day skiing in the Brecon Beacons. Considering the size of the kicker (tiny) the air and rotation Alwyn got was mightily impressive.

MikePow_827.jpg

Thanks rider69

SATURDAY 17 DECEMBER 2011

Groundhog Day in the Brecon Beacons.

Snowing and blowing and very little visibility.

Got to the summit of Pen-y-Fan today and then walked back down to the saddle between Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du and waited for an hour hoping for the mist to lift and the sun to shine through.

Not today unfortunately.

But whilst I was waiting I did see this guy and his dogs loving their walk in the snow.

MikePow_828.jpg

MikePow_829.jpg

Skied back to the bridge on powder and packed powder from 5cm to 25cm deep and met up with AndAnotherThing from the Snowheads forum.

Hiked back up for another run. It was blowing and snowing hence the one pic prior to skiing.

AndAnotherThing getting ready to make his first turns in the Brecon Beacons

MikePow_830.jpg

And run completed the more difficult task for AndAnotherThing of getting the skis back in the car

MikePow_831.jpg

MikePow_832.jpg

A quick cup of coffee at The Storey Arms van watching a snowboarder using a kite take far too many face plant slams, and then AndAnotherThing was on the road back to Shropshire.

MikePow_833.jpg

Another great day in the Brecon Beacons skiing and hanging out with like minded skiers.

SUNDAY 18 DECEMBER 2011

Nerys dropped me off at the Toilets car park just before 10 am to meet up with Alwyn from Friday's turns and Hayduke from the TGR forum who'd driven over from Bristol.

Hayduke was attempting the enviable (and possibly ground breaking) feat of skiing in the am and surfing in the pm in Wales.

Quite a lot of walkers already on the path at that time, and some already up & down and back in the car park. The prognosis? Blowing and snowing and zero visibility.

ArseCaptain and friends from the Snowheads forum were in attendance and skiing the Cefn Crew side.

Ever the optimist I was hoping that the clouds would part, the wind would drop, and we could see how much snow had fallen and been blown in to Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere.

The steeper faces in the Beacons were getting pounded and loaded.

Alwyn and Hayduke on the way up to Bwlch Duwynt, Fan Fawr in the distance

MikePow_834.jpg

There was considerably more snow on the ground than yesterday, with from 5cm to 40cm in parts. And on the way up we bumped into Topsmoke from the Snowheads forum.

The higher we got the worse the visibility and the stronger the wind, gusting to gale force at times and nearly knocking you off your feet. The crest of Bwlch Duwynt had been blown bare revealing red sandstone and ice, and the path leading round underneath Corn Du towards Pen-y-Fan had drifts up to 1.5 m in parts.

After postholing up to our knees for what seemed like hundreds of metres but was actually about 75m we decided to turn around and spend our time on the Cefn Crew slopes from whence we came.

I've been out in some pretty wild weather in the mountains of North America, South America, Europe and Asia and for those minutes spent making our decision to turn around and get in to our skis it was as bad as I've ever experienced.

The wind was howling and the spindrift and falling snow was covering us completely in seconds.

I was lucky to get these two pics before the camera was caked in fine, fine snow.

Alwyn and Hayduke sheltering from the blizzard below Corn Du

MikePow_835.jpg

MikePow_836.jpg

We skied and shuffled back round to Cefn Crew and made our first run back to the bridge. It was less windy on this side, but the vsibility was no better really.

Hayduke ready to make his first turns in the Brecon Beacons

MikePow_837.jpg

Alwyn ready to make his first turns in Cefn Crew

MikePow_838.jpg

First run completed we hiked back up for another. And by the time we got to the bottom the sun made a very brief appearance.

Both runs were great, despite the lack of visibility with powder and packed powder top to bottom. Not a rock was touched!

Alwyn and Hayduke on the slope below Cefn Crew

MikePow_839.jpg

Alwyn and Hayduke on the slope below Cefn Crew with Fan Fawr in the background

MikePow_840.jpg

So nixed once again on the bigger prizes of Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn, and Fan-y-Big but an excellent day out in the mountains. And at times today, The Brecon Beacons were most definitely mountains.

Always great to have company and Alwyn & Hayduke were great company. Cheers guys.

On his way to go surfing, Hayduke dropped me off at The Nant Ddu Lodge on the A470 between the Beacons and Merthyr, and Nerys met me for Sunday lunch.

http://www.nant-ddu-lodge.co.uk/

For the gentleman, chargrilled pork loin, brandy & peppercorn sauce, red onions, chips and the best crackling I've had in ages.

MikePow_841.jpg

And for the lady, a panache of fish - roast monkfish, salmon, prawns and scallop - with lemon & garlic butter and new potatoes.

MikePow_842.jpg

Both superb. Especially after a morning on the mountain.

If you're in the area lunch and/or dinner is a must. And it would make an excellent base for a couple of days stay.

Whilst I was waiting for Nerys to come over for lunch I read this story on the BBC Wales web site. Rotten luck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-16235480

• 2 weeks later...

MONDAY 19 DECEMBER 2011

After a day of rain in Cardiff I drove up to the Storey Arms to see where the freezing level was and how much damage a day of rain had done to the snowpack.

It had rained until 4pm and rained hard. And washed away a significant amount of snow on the Cefn Crew side.

The cloud line was around 600m so it was anyone's guess whether it had rained or snowed up high.

TUESDAY 20 DECEMBER 2011

Ever the optimist I set off before daybreak to see what was left up high.

After a damp and miserable solo stroll to the summit of Pen-y-Fan I saw...next to nothing.

Looked like a fair bit of snow left on the NE Face, but not enough and not enough visibility to warrant dropping in.

I turned tail, and clicked in on the remaining snow on the Cefn Crew side. The path compacted by hundreds of walkers had spring piste like qualities and ran from Bwlch Duwynt 2/3 of the way back to the bridge.

3...2...1...dropping

MikePow_843.jpg

What was left downslope on Cefn Crew

MikePow_844.jpg

The White Ribbon of Death above me

MikePow_845.jpg

The White Ribbon of Death below me

MikePow_846.jpg

The piste bashers can be put away for another year

MikePow_847.jpg

The clouds cleared on my way back to Cardiff and my decision not to attempt the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan was justified.

Cribyn and Pen-y-Fan from the A40

MikePow_848.jpg

So just four days skiing the Brecon Beacons National Park in 2011. But four days I will remember for the turns made with friends old and new.

Here's hoping that 2012 brings some serious snowfall to S Wales and Chris, AndAnotherThing, Alwyn and Hayduke can get to make turns on Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn and Fan y Big.