A group of us are thinking of going to Zao next year, and was wondering if anyone has driven up from the Tokyo/Kanagawa area, and if so, what did you think of the drive? Would you recommend the train over driving or is going by car easy enough?

I have directions already, just looking for thoughts and opinions.

I'd imagine it'd be a cinch, the expressway north of Tokyo was deserted when we went (albeit by overnight bus) up to Fukushima....it was actually a little annoying at how short the journey took as we had to have stupid 1 hour layovers in expressway cafe's just to make it to the ski-jo at a reasonable hour.

I'd imagine it'd be a cinch, the expressway north of Tokyo was deserted when we went (albeit by overnight bus) up to Fukushima....it was actually a little annoying at how short the journey took as we had to have stupid 1 hour layovers in expressway cafe's just to make it to the ski-jo at a reasonable hour.

How much was the bus? Might be a spare spot in the "van" if you're about. :p

I should think the drive would be ok once you get onto the Tohoku or Joban, but getting through Tokyo would be a nightmare.

Though from Kanagawa, you are probably used to that...

The Tohoku and Joban can be a bit crowded heading to the mountains on a weekend morning, and especially heading back at the

end of the weekend. Though nothing like the Kan-Etsu. Still, might want to head up the evening before, and get an early start

when heading back (leave Zao at lunchtime). And keep your ears glued to Highway Radio on the way back -- the Tohoku tends

to have more traffic jams heading towards Tokyo, so you may find it advantageous to switch to the Ban-Etsu+Joban at Koriyama

when heading back. Or not, if there has been an accident somewhere on the Joban.

Don't forget the camera!