2012 one month freeride-skialpinism roadtrip trough Japan

Hi,

We (3 Belgian freeriders) just booked tickets for a one-month ski trip trough Japan in January 2012.

The last couple of winter in Europe we spent cruising' trough the Alps , following the snow around.

Next winter we planned similar ski trip in Japan. All the stories of endless deep powder just became too much :friend:

We like to get the most out of our trip, meaning: try to visit different region's and resorts, ski in resorts and backcountry,

cheap travel & accommodation, visit small and 'unknown' area's with freeride potential, document our journey in a movie.

So, some questions for whoever already spent some time traveling trough Japan in winter:

- What would be a good travel itinerary, knowing we arrive and leave from Tokyo? We like to spent some time in Honshu AND Hoikaido.

- Would renting a car be a good option in order to be more flexible or is public transportation good enough? What would be the cheapest option?

- What would be 'must visit' area's, knowing we are very experienced skiers and climbers whit a lot of backcountry knowledge? We are looking for

long steep lines and cool forests to play in. (some area's I already found and could be interesting: Moiwa, Kokusai, Happo, Daisetsuzan NP with Maetokachi,...)

- Is it a good idea to just fly to Japan and see from there? Or is it a safer option to book already some things in advance.

So in general, every tip to get the most out of an Freeride film adventure on a low budget is more than welcome!

Thanx in advance!

I reckon you should rent a car then you can truly follow the snow. Head up to that place in Aomori too, Hakkoda. That gets crazy levels of snow and is for experts only, most people are advised to take guides when up there

Hey Yannick, that sounds like a great trip! :friend: There`s a lot of really good information on this site so if I were you, I would search through the old posts and then start planning your trip from there. Good luck!! :thumbsup: