Serina Wiiliams abuses an umpire at the U.S. Open after a penalty point from a clear infraction of the rules.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way, because you're out of control," Williams said in her chair.

"You're totally out of control. You're a hater, unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow, what a loser.

"Give me a code violation because I expressed my emotion? We're in America last time I checked. Really, don't even look at me, don't look my way."

I'm curious why being in America would make any difference.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Serina Wiiliams abuses an umpire at the U.S. Open after a penalty point from a clear infraction of the rules.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way, because you're out of control," Williams said in her chair.

"You're totally out of control. You're a hater, unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow, what a loser.

"Give me a code violation because I expressed my emotion? We're in America last time I checked. Really, don't even look at me, don't look my way."

I'm curious why being in America would make any difference.

because its America of course!!! Can't believe you wouldn't know that they are allowed to play by any rules they wish if the official ways don't go for em!! wink

While I agree that dummy spits are unattractive and she deserved the infraction and a MUCH higher penalty than she received...

I think the point she was making re: being in a America, was that it was a country where you are allowed to express your opinion and emotion - have freedom of speech.

Unfortunately for her the rules of tennis are overlayed onto that - and on the court she does not have that luxury.

No doubt she is a great player but it is unfortunate that her outburst and subsequent publicity took the gloss off (in the USA anyway)a suberb win by a far superior and determined Sam Stosur.

Go you good thing.

It was a sweet victory indeed.

At least Williams didn't direct her woeful display of poor sportsmanship at her opponent. She was actually ful of praise for Sam Stouser.

Still, this idea that being a celebrity, an American celebrity, gives you some kind of superiority over all others in amazing.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Still, this idea that being a celebrity, an American celebrity, gives you some kind of superiority over all others in amazing.

Yes it is. But if the mainstream media etc treat them like they do, I can see it as being inevitable that some will take to it like that.

I do not like sore losers.

But it starts young and it starts in the home Muika.

I was on guard all day Sunday, nipping any display of bad sportmanship among our team of boys in the bud. They won every game they played and have every right to celebrate - however myself and other parents were right onto them to be gracious winners.

Clearly Serena Williams has been told she is better than other people, and had no manners, grace and courtesy taught to her on her journey through sport.

When this issue comes up I always remember the USA Mens 100M team when they won gold at the olympics about 6 years ago or whenever it was, they were running around literally banging their chests and shouting things like 'we beat yo ass' etc and generally telling everyone who great they are in interviews etc. Truly despicable behaviour. There must be a youtube video of that somewhere.