The right to bear arms has a caveat ...

Quote:
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

source

The caveat is that the right is related to the need for a militia, not just because they want a gun.

Sorry? Tell them what, exactly? The quote is direct from the second amendment. They can't read? or what?

There is a very bitter dispute over the meaning of ``militia'' in that 2nd amendment sentence; gun control activists claim it specifies an actual military organization, while gun rights advocates say in an 18th Century context it refers simply to able-bodied individuals. Both sides seem to be able to cite usages that support their interpretation, thus rendering the point moot. Both also tend to have quasi-religious emotional attachment to their side of the question, making it near impossible to arrive at any common-sense solution to the problem of gun-related violence in the U.S.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
There is a very bitter dispute over the meaning of ``militia'' in that 2nd amendment sentence; gun control activists claim it specifies an actual military organization, while gun rights advocates say in an 18th Century context it refers simply to able-bodied individuals. Both sides seem to be able to cite usages that support their interpretation, thus rendering the point moot. Both also tend to have quasi-religious emotional attachment to their side of the question, making it near impossible to arrive at any common-sense solution to the problem of gun-related violence in the U.S.
And that's all I have to say about that...

JA...... banner dance

By the sounds of this article they should look at banning knives in Glasgow! Thank god they don't have guns!! wink

(have no idea if it's an accurate description of how things are or just a ridiculous media beat up)

Quote:
In Glasgow, Scotland's biggest city, a stabbing occurs every six hours - and many more go unreported. Survey after survey, from the World Health Organisation to the United Nations, identifies Glasgow as one of the most violent cities in western Europe. Among young males aged between 10 and 29, the rate of homicide is similar to Argentina, Costa Rica and Lithuania. Alcohol-related death rates are three times the British average while Scots have one of the lowest life expectancies in Europe.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/fear-and-loathing-in-the-city-of-rage-20110610-1fwxq.html#ixzz1Oviw9wQM

GN, it is true.....very bad knife problem in Scotland.....well a lot of the UK I'd guess. Glasgow has had a blade reputation since the 50's, when most of the gangs were known as "razor gangs". For sure I agree, thank God that 'Weegies don't have guns, mind you they aren't intelligent enough to know how to use them! wink

Quote:
A British security guard made his finger safe from a bothersome wart — operating on it with a 12-gauge Beretta shotgun blast that took most of the finger with it, media reports said Wednesday.

Yes, Tubby, I begin to see what you mean.

I stand partially corrected. I just read something about being able to clear a background check in less than an hour (the wonders of the internet) and purchase a firearm (specifically a rifle - I don't know if this pertains to handguns, as many States have waiting periods for handguns but not for rifles and shotguns) in Colorado. The caveat is having an ID from Colorado (i. e. having State residency) - you can't walk in with your California ID and buy a gun, even if you have a clean record.