Today I went to Asahidake with the crew from my hostel in Furano. It took us about 1.5 hours to get there, I reckon. We paid 2800Yen for a four hour ticket. That did us to ski from 10am until 2pm. There was quite a bit of fresh snow, I would guess at about 20-30cms, probably just below knee height. The snow was just a tiny bit heavy but still quite good. The top is wide open and further down there are trees to muck about in.

But like everyone says, it flattens out half way down and you have to walk in a few places to make it back to the bottom of the ropeway. To top it off, on the way back we spotted two white foxes. All I need to do now is see a bear!

kokodoko_35.jpg

Steam coming off the vents further up from the top of the ropeway.

kokodoko_36.jpg

You can see some of the lines in the background where the crew were hooking in.

kokodoko_37.jpg

The dreaded cat track. Push, push.

kokodoko_38.jpg

Some guys climbing higher to get even better lines.

kokodoko_39.jpg

Even more back country over the hill.

Maybe they save the good stuff for poor visibility days as I had Bob Marley, Nirvana and Guns N' Roses! Would have preferred crap music and good vis though!!

I've had a couple of days up at Asahidake this winter. Once in Feb, with zero visibility but chest deep snow, and another last Sunday with perfect visibility, but only ankle deep snow. Both were fun!

We hiked to the top on Sunday in clear blue skies, and then skied down into the crater.

I'll definitely be going a few more times before the end of the season.

Sorry, sans cheese, but will add some when I get back from work today!

And the crater isn't all that crater like, but we got right close up to the vents.

Yep, one side is missing, so its kind of like a big deep amphitheatre!

A few pics:

Hiking the ridge. Made it most of the way to the top, but the winds were just too strong once we got up close to the summit, so we didn't quite make it all the way:

MagSeven_8.jpg

Down in the crater

MagSeven_9.jpg

Next to one of the vents

MagSeven_10.jpg

awesome mag. it would have been a great experience getting near to those vents.

video is uploading at the moment. will put it up as soon as its ready.