Snowboard Sharpening and waxing "While you wait"

Does anyone know of a place that services snowboards on a "while you wait" basis?

I have a board that needs tuning but it seems many Japanese sporting good shops need to hold it for over a week to do any type of tuning, waxing. sharpening to a snow board.

I haven't had the opportunity to hit alot of mtns here in Japan but do the rental shops on location offer such services as well? What prices would I be looking at?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kenny, might not be of any help but it is easy to do it yourself and that is "while you wait" so to speak smile.

It is pretty easy: Scrape, minor tune and wax, buffed back to ridable takes me a very leisurely 1 hour with beer(s) in hand. My 8 year old daughter helps melt the wax on too smile

You can get an edging tool, wax and wax iron and buff stone for a reasonable price online. (Perhaps as much as or 1.5 times the price of a shop tune). Plenty of videos on what to do available on line as well.

If you bases does not need any Ptex repair or the edges do not have any major imperfections, then it is the way to go. After two tune ups you are saving money.

I wouldn't waste money buying a specific waxing iron, they are way too expensive. Head down to your local electrical dealer and buy the cheapest iron there, don't fill it with water and use that....its exactly the same at sometimes more than half the price!

thumbsup TRUE!

From experience... the wax goes up the normal holes in the bottom (if it has them) can stay there and burn if you don't clean it while still warm so you might end up with old wax mixed with the new especially if you change wax types for temps times of year.

Still a good option and they have a larger ironing surface which can speed things up. Watch the heat they can also get a lot hotter than required. Keep the iron moving... slowly.

You can pick up sets containing waxes, brushes, scraper, iron for less than 10000 yen. I use an old iron on medium heat but the temperature varies from too hot (smoke from the wax) to not really hot enough to melt the wax easily. Wouldnt mind a proper waxing iron - can get them for 4000 yen. A wax job is easy enough, but scraping can be a bit of a pain and messy - definitely best with a proper plexiglass scraper.

Kenny, if you are going to Hunter Mountain, they have a 5 minute wax and 10 minute edging service at the shop in the base lodge.

BTW, the main difference between a cheap clothes iron and a ski specific wax iron is the temperature control of the ski wax iron is going to be much better.