Translating names of food/meals

Someone has asked me to translate some names of Japanese food into English. I'm not a translator and I'm not keen on doing this kind of thing but said I would give it a go.

Many of the items are meals and food. I'm wondering if it is best to just give those romaji names (ie/ soba) or whether to actually translate the meaning, describe what it is (ie/ buckwheat noodles or whatever it is).

What you reckon? Perhaps have both in there though that is increasing my work! wink

I would think that its best to put it in Romaji, so use "Soba". Writing "Buckwheat Noodle" doesn't make it seem tasty and people would probably be like..."WTF is a Buckwheat noodle?". Like Mr W said, it depends on how much space there is, you could then have a small description of what the food item actually is underneath the main entry

Are they having separate nihongo and eigo menus?

Seriously, I have noted that the eigo menus are around half the number of dishes as the nihongo ones. Seems many restaurants cannot be arsed to translate the whole menu, and just give a few "popular" dishes on the eigo version.

This is exactly why I am trying to learn the kanji/katakana/hiragana representations of the foods, so I can start to order from the "original" menus, no need to ask for "eigo menyu onagaishimasu".

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Writing "Buckwheat Noodle" doesn't make it seem tasty and people would probably be like..."WTF is a Buckwheat noodle?"

Yeah, soba is thin noodles, udon is thick noodles. That actually means something to people.

If anyone complains, ask them how much buckwheat is in yaki-"soba" razz
Originally Posted By: thursday
but I don't think you could do as good a job as this. This restaurant has one Michelin star.

menu2.jpg

Shouldn't the "Meat garrulous fried rice" really be "Plum greens meat garrulous fried rice"?

That probably cost them one star right there.