A modern day Huck Finn or Billy the kid or whatever. Great story, great scenic backdrop, from the Gulf Islands in Washington State, across the US and Canada, now down to the Bahamas coinciding with a big regatta. The kid's been on the run, stealing planes, cars and supplies for a couple of years now...

Quote:
MARSH HARBOUR, Bahamas - A wily teenage thief who hopscotched his way across the U.S. and escaped in a stolen plane to the Bahamas lived up to his legend Wednesday, eluding a manhunt after allegedly committing a new series of break-ins on a normally quiet island.

Bahamian police interviewed burglary victims while searching for Colton Harris-Moore on sun-speckled Great Abaco Island days after the fugitive who has been dubbed the "Barefoot Bandit" crash-landed the plane and made his way to shore.

His arrival coincided with an annual regatta that may make it easy for him to blend in among the crowds of visiting tourists.

.....In 2007, he was sentenced to nearly four years in juvenile detention after being caught in an unoccupied home when a neighbour noticed the lights on. But he did well enough at the detention centre that he was transferred to a halfway house, where he sneaked out of an open window more than two years ago.

He has since been linked to dozens of burglaries, including several airplane thefts. During the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, a plane that may have been stolen by Harris-Moore skirted a flight zone set up for the event. It never entered restricted airspace during its erratic journey, helping the pilot evade authorities.

He was pinned with the nickname "Barefoot Bandit" for allegedly committing some crimes while shoeless.

Pam Kohler, Harris-Moore's mother, said she wasn't surprised her son might be able to make the 1,000-mile (1,610-kilometre) flight from where the plane was stolen in Bloomington, Indiana, to the Bahamas after teaching himself how to fly.

She has publicly defended her son, and claims the allegations against him are exaggerated. She told The Associated Press she would have preferred he fled to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the United States.

"The furthest he gets from the U.S., the better," she said from her home on Camano Island in Washington state. "I'm glad he's able to enjoy beautiful islands, but they extradite. It doesn't help matters at all."

I guess if it was me he had stolen from I might have a different view but a story like this warms my heart in some respects, but then the book next to the bed at the moment is history of Punk bands lol. Its appears all the crime has been non-violent and probably just to support his life on the lamb. I hope he is out there a few more years sticking a middle finger up at "the Man" and having a good time. Us Aussies love a crook smile