After three Honshu seasons (the first of which was epic, the second mixed and the third way too much rain, slush, then pow over skating rink) we've decided to head north this year, seeking surer sub-zero temps. We do feel a little disloyal, but you gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

Being contrarian by nature, this means non-Niseko options - Furano, Rusutsu and Tomamu seem good candidates. Would people recommend these or other spots? Unlike everyone else here apparently, we don't really care about off-piste - a good variety of long medium difficulty courses with great snow, decent accom and good local food is our schtick. Don't be scornful - that's what happens when you hit your twilight snow years;)

Particularly I was wondering where would be the best place to avoid Christmas/New Year's crowds, as that's when we'll be starting. Does it get jam packed like Honshu over NY? What are the busiest days? Thanks all.

You'll find it very expensive to go to Hokkaido at xmas/ny, no matter where you look. And it will be more crowded, especially at new year, than at almost any other time of the season. (Of course, the same goes for Honshu.) Personally, I'd suggest volunteering to be the good guy who mans the office at those times -- and takes some comp days later.

I disagree with Slippery Jim's commments, but Im guessing he is thinking more of Niseko/Rusutsu? If you are out towards Asahidake there were NO crowds at all. No waiting. No bs. I think heading out towards Furano and Tomamu would be good options. However, it doesnt get as much snow out there compared with Niseko/Rusutsu so coverage can be more minimal at the beginning - we found at least.

Not sure you read him right, CB. He's specifically NOT looking off-piste, which would seem (to me) to eliminate Asahi/Kuro from his choices. Furano/Tomamu? fershure, but they're also going to be more expensive at xmas/ny, and relatively more crowded than say in mid-January. If you know a ski resort in Japan that's not more crowded or costly at new year than at any other time, please share the goods. wink

Hey S.J., maybe I did, but there were NO crowds at the above mentioned resorts when we were there over Xmas/NYs, and the numbers at Furano were so limited that the pension we stayed at knocked off 5000/night because he just wanted guests!! Excellent value, and walked to the gondie in 5 mins. I love powder, but if I was a family man and not really hunting for S.C. or B.C., Id head right to Furano as it seemed to have everything to me. Great place. I would like to go back and explore the area more.

No argument from me on Furano. We were there the week before xmas and it was almost empty (and less than half the cost of just a few days later!). I'm simply saying that if he has the choice (I know many don't) it's well worth skipping xmas/ny and going just before or after -- use the money saved for a second trip (maybe just before or after chinese new year).