They are more common than you would think in Aus (especially water spouts) - but they normally don't cause such devastation by hitting such a built up area. Glad no one was killed.

My Nan lost her roof a few years ago when one hit the Bicton area in WA - pretty scary stuff - and it really is just right place at the right time or wrong place at the wrong time that makes the difference between people getting hurt or not.

PP, easy to think that it would have been hyped as not something you'd expect!

MB, I know of a woman who was in bed get up to go to the toilet, wall collapses on her bed! A few more freakish timing events like that where give or take a few seconds the difference would have been life or death... I think the man upstairs was looking after a few on Thursday.

That was freaky. Some of those photos show bits of houses 50-100 meters in the air.

We had a water spout make land here a few weeks back about 2 km from my house. It actually went through the surf zone. There were only two guys in the water at the time. One made a run for it up the beach and was up ended and broke his collar bone. The other dived under water.

I am fascinated by natural events but most especially twisters - but I think if I came face to face with one I would well and truly wet myself with fear. A force to be reckoned with, that pops up without much warning at all!

The one that took Nan's roof off, we were driving to the greyhounds and I recall saying to Papa as we drove along the coast - gee...if I didn't know better I would swear blind that was a supercell! I could not take my eyes off it. I left the kids with my parents in the same suburb as my Nan, but told them about the strange clouds and said that if they were concerned at all to get into the cupboard under the stairs.

Sure enough - it tore through...but missed Mum and Dad's by a few streets. Bizarre!