Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yeah I agree.........trying to pin the brakeage on the customer so quickly after they got it is pretty shoddy. Regardless of whether they've had some dodgy customers from Singapore trying to chance it, if they are serious about being a top business they should've dealt with it better. Next time Cabletoh, take your business elsewhere

Cableitoh said that it got replaced, no mention of them trying to 'pin it' on his friend.

What it sounds like to me is that not too much went wrong that the rentals guys could have controlled (Vale possibly messing up booking/random equipment failure), but what they could have controlled is how these problems were perceived by the customer, which they obviously messed up badly!

I did say that it may have been the users fault, I have seen a lot of bindings broken by people standing on them as they put them on, it's really easy to do. It doesn't sound like this is what happened here though so I apologise for inferring that. I am not 'they' when refering to NBS rentals though.

Your post was in agreement with Quattro who felt the binding should have been replaced, which it sounds like it was.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Honestly though, it is very rare that something like bindings would break on the first day and I doubt that it had anything to do with the way you used them. There was certainly a defect with their product. I hope you kept them because I'm sure that Burton would replace something like that.

Nah...we didn't. They were usable - just, but Papa wouldn't have had the same again if Burton had offered to replace them as he had lost faith in the style. He binned them and reduced the luggage weight we had to take home (which WAS an issue for us). If we had lived locally we certainly would have taken them home and looked into replacement or repairs, but sometimes these things are just too inconvenient for people living so removed from any decent snow facilities/vendors.

Rainbow Rental in Hakuba Echoland gave me a wrong boot-ski combination. The boot was too large for the binding and the rear binding wasn't properly locked in. In the shop it was still ok.

Then we went from Nikayama to the top (well, McDonalds area) of happo and while sliding down somewhere in the middle of the hill my boot came lose. Tried to fix it, but worked only for 50 meters of slide. Had to walk down the last few Km to Saka lifts.

Tried to fix it again in one of the rental shops. Still couldn't. Binding was simply not suitable for that boot. Took a bus back to Nikayama, then called a Taxi back to Echoland to change the ski. Complaining was no use since English suddenly wasn't working anymore. Then got a ski that was much longer then my comfort zone. Luckily could catch the bus back to Nikayama.

Such a mistake is really hard to accept from a ski rental company. Next time I rent from Spicy, they have a much larger selection anyway!

It's a bit bitter to lose 3 hours ski time on a 2 day ski trip.

PS: the too long ski took a little time to adjust to, but after it it was really fine and I quite liked it.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Nothing beats good customer service.
You can get poor product and still leave quite satisfied - as long as the service is appropriate.

As for bindings breaking ... heck we bought a pair of top end Burton bindings in Tokyo that broke on the high back on day one and the toe strap on day two - it happens. And there was no 'abuse' to the product going on with us!

Many many years ago when Papa and I were just strating out we rented (first an apartment, and then a house) - and the thing I hated the MOST about that was the rent inspections. The feeling that someone was coming into your life and judging you, and looking for fault. It was with GREAT RELIEF that we bought our first home.

I am a bit the same way with rental equipment. I would rather buy my own than be beholding to anyone.

Mamabear is absolutely right..!! Nothing beats good customer service. When my friend brought the bindings in for an exchange, we were treated like we broke them on purpose. That was a really a bad feelings.....
Originally Posted By: Jimmer
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yeah I agree.........trying to pin the brakeage on the customer so quickly after they got it is pretty shoddy. Regardless of whether they've had some dodgy customers from Singapore trying to chance it, if they are serious about being a top business they should've dealt with it better. Next time Cabletoh, take your business elsewhere

Cableitoh said that it got replaced, no mention of them trying to 'pin it' on his friend.

What it sounds like to me is that not too much went wrong that the rentals guys could have controlled (Vale possibly messing up booking/random equipment failure), but what they could have controlled is how these problems were perceived by the customer, which they obviously messed up badly!

Well, is a chain of bad incident happened in the same time. But I am for sure will not return to the same shop next season. The Vale, "Yes" I am a return customer next season but only this time with a larger group.!!