Managed to score a free giveaway ticket to Marunuma (thanks SJ and Marunuma!), and have been waiting for the chance to use it. Made a weekend of it this past weekend, staying at Pension Currants (listed on this site) Saturday night.

Saturday was sunny when we arrived, becoming snowy and windy by the end of the afternoon. After a very pleasant stay at Pension Currants, Sunday turned out to be a spectacularly beautiful, blue-sky day. Not too cold, not too warm, no wind, squeaky packed powder, great views... just a perfect day.

Review later, pics for now.

Tree, Yellow Course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_56.JPG

Silver Course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_57.JPG

View from Karakura/Rose Course of White World Oze Iwakura (?):

Metabo%20Oyaji_58.JPG

Restaurant Tonfan:

Metabo%20Oyaji_59.JPG

View of Violet Course from Restaurant Tonfan:

Metabo%20Oyaji_60.JPG

Time to retire for the night. Pension Currants, genkan:

Metabo%20Oyaji_61.JPG

Very friendly proprietors. Great meals, and they bake their own rolls and bread.

Pension Currants, dining room:

Metabo%20Oyaji_62.JPG

Pension Currants, dining room:

Metabo%20Oyaji_63.JPG

Pension Currants, exterior, next morning:

Metabo%20Oyaji_64.JPG

Top of gondola:

Metabo%20Oyaji_65.JPG

Nikko Shiranesan:

Metabo%20Oyaji_66.JPG

Shirane Course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_67.JPG

Shirane/Gold Course:

Metabo%20Oyaji_68.JPG

Obligatory roof-shoveling shot, #1 Pair Lift:

Metabo%20Oyaji_69.JPG

Some more photos, and a couple videos. (Note to self: in future, turn off image stabilization when panning. Hansei shiteimasu.)

Metabo%20Oyaji_71.JPG

Metabo%20Oyaji_72.JPG

Metabo%20Oyaji_73.JPG

Originally Posted By: big-will
let us know how busy it was.

Well, let's say busy, but not crowded. Parking lots were full, and restaurants were busy, but there weren't any serious lift lines anywhere; the longest wait was for the gondola, and that was only a few minutes. No real crowding on the slopes, either; they seemed more crowded when I went in November, probably because everyone was confined to 3 courses then.

They do seem to have a fair number of lifts scattered about the lower slopes, which I guess helps minimize choke points. Interestingly, even at that I did notice a fair amount of deactivated lift capacity. At least 4-5 lifts were in various stages of disuse/decommissioning -- I guess they aren't needed any more. Though one, Oohiro, seems to be down just temporarily for improvements to the trail it serves. (Unfortunate, as that trail gets good reviews on this site.)

The Kan-Etsu, on the other hand... I'm glad I was warned by others on this site about how bad it could get. I left early on Sunday and minimized my exposure to it, but from the traffic reports on the radio it seemed I escaped by the skin of my teeth.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
How early is early MO?

I pulled out of the parking lot at 2:30, which got me to Numata IC at 3:30. I switched onto the Kita-Kanto Expressway from Takasaki Jct, after which it was smooth sailing, but heavy traffic between Numata and Takasaki added about 30 minutes to the trip. Traffic reports on Highway Radio were also indicating several more jams popping up between Takasaki and Tokyo by the time I left the Kan-Etsu.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Interesting Metabo. A bag of crisps next time too hey? wink

Well, as it happens, I found the following photo from my November visit to Marunuma:

Metabo%20Oyaji_74.JPG

Note the crisps on the left... and if I'm not mistaken, some pies even seem to be visible on the right.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Ah I want to go back there before the end of the season.
Glad you enjoyed it Metabo Oyaji.
It's really pretty up there isn't it.
thumbsup

It really is. The first day was basically zero visibility at the peak by the time we made it up there, so it was very fortunate to have the second day there.