Might be interesting to have a thread that can remind us all to be humble in the face of the dangers we may encounter on the hill. Let's all remember our limits and stay safe!

Quote:
2 Ont. skiers plunge to deaths near B.C. resort

Last Updated: Friday, January 29, 2010 | 3:19 PM PT

CBC News

Two Ontario skiers were killed after they slid over a cliff in an out-of-bounds area near the Revelstoke Mountain ski resort in southeastern B.C., police said.

The accident happened Thursday afternoon. The RCMP have confirmed the male victims, ages 47 and 17, were from Grimsby, Ont., but their names have not been released.

A third person, a 16-year-old male, was airlifted from the scene with an injured ankle, according to Sgt. Art Kleinsmith of the RCMP.

"The party of three skied into a steep, hard-packed ice chute and in an attempt to ascend the chute, they removed their skis," Kleinsmith said. "However, they fell and slid down this chute about 100 metres and over a cliff."

The bodies of the two skiers were still being recovered Friday morning.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/29/bc-revelstoke-ski-deaths.html#ixzz0e9f8Rh74

Two people from my neighbouring hometown killed at my favourite resort in Canada.

Sounds like it might have been a Dad with his son and friend. That sucks! Personally, I can accept a lot of risk if it's just my own life, but I'd feel too bad for the people I'd left behind.

Oh. no..

This "slipping and falling" is quite common, I get the impression.

Lot of it happens in transit, like heading back home from the mountain, or bar, etc. and where it's easy to slip, there are likely to be cliffs.

Actually, we choose to be at those places because are sport is about slipping away ..

Could it have been avoided if they had equipment? crampons, snowshoes..? I wonder we go out there too lightly equipped or lacking in the knowledge of that environment?