the charges are set by your bank.

The exchange rates are those prevailing at the time of transaction. Since it's a weekend, the rate will be within a spread set by the bank.

My bank charges me 4USD per transaction not matter the amount.

We took pretty much enough cash to see us through our holiday, using Credit Card from time to time throughout the weeks for various things. However we were running low on Yen, and with the young fella coming back in 2 weeks with his mates I thought it would be wise to head up to the HT ATM and make sure his card worked in it, and that WE could use it successfully for future reference (and extra few Yen didn't hurt either).

ALL GOOD.

Brilliant service - easy to use machine - smiling helpful staff.

Our young'un used his N.A.B VISA Debit card to withdraw cash (and could even get a balance enquiry); and I had no problems withdrawing cash from our C.B.A American Express Credit Card (no balance). No extra charges over and above our bank fee's that I could see.

cool thanks guys, i just wanted to know what they charged... and if the FX is good

do you know what rate you got? currently the yen is about 5 higher than what we got a month ago at home. then 79 now 83-4.

running low on cash with 10 dtg. must have spent more than planned (maybe the new camera in tokyo)

What about a percentage charge? I was pretty sure St George charges 2.5% on top of fx. I am trying to pay the balance of our accom, cannot do bank to bank transfer as it requires SMS confirmation which I cannot do as no mobile. This way would have been best with a one off $40 charge. I would pay via c/c but they told me it's a 5% surcharge which on 6k is no small amount. So the whole reason for my question was thinking of withdrawing money frm ATM and paying cash. Ideas?