Hello! I'll be going to Niseko in Feb and it will be the first time I'm skiing in Japan. So excited!! I've read some of the posts here and can see that there are many "veterans" here giving really useful tips so I'm hoping to get some advice :-)

1) Should I book my ski rentals online? Have looked at the rental shops listed on SnowJapan and narrowed down my choices to Niseko 343 and The Boarding Co. Any feedback on these 2?? I don't need pro skis, just standard ones though of course not too shabby.

2) Are the ski wear/accessories reasonably-priced in the ski wear shops in Niseko? By "reasonable", I mean compared to say, US/Aussie prices. I live in a tropical country so there's no ski shops here, but I'm contemplating ordering online from US. Need new goggles and perhaps ski jacket and muffler.

3) Other than skiing, I'm hoping to squeeze in some other fun activities and day-trips. Any worthwhile day-trips around the area? Have heard of the Milk Kobo ice cream place so that's one of my to-dos!

4) Didn't pre-order dinner with my hotel, since I read somewhere there are lots of good eating places around the village. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for answers and suggestions!!

1. Not sure about ski rentals, most places seem pretty good, the only gear I've seen in lessons that was shoddy was from Inski. If you are here during a busy period (ie Chinese New year) then pre-booking would definitely be advisable.

2. No, it's expensive here, online from the states will give you a bigger selection for less cash.

3. If you're here in Feb, the ice festival in Sapporo and the Lantern festival in Otaru are both on. Not sure on exact dates.

4. The nicest place I have eaten in town is J.Sekka, I hear Kamimura is amazing. For a cheaper meal/lunch I like Abucha (1+2) and Yosaku.

5. The nicest boots are prob Sorel. I have some Dunlop gumboots and they do great though!

Thanks Jimmer! Will definitely check out those eating places you mentioned.

The Dunlop gumboots you have, do they keep your feet warm? And do you use cleats with them to prevent slipping on the snow and ice?

dfl123, I've got a pair of Sorel Conquest, that are superb.

For snow boots its very worthwhile having a sole that won't allow the cold to seep through

check your pm and I'll send you some further detail

ahh, can't pm you, you havent been a meber long enough