Having spent a couple of seasons on Falls Creek, I can say the=at there is no observable difference between the natural snow and man-made, there at least.

As for responsible? The man-made is generated from the local dam into which ALL of the melt returns. No problem there! I believe (and ASB would be better able to clarify, if needed) that the guns (and the whole resort to a lesser extent) is run from a hydro generator which, if it doesn't generate as much during the winter, makes up for it in the summer.

AFAIK, no chemical additives are used. That would be totally irresponsible, regardless of the rest - IMHO.

I actually have to print a retraction of sorts. ashamed

I was discussing this issue with my family over dinner (in the excitement of our upcoming vacation and they reminded me about an experience we had in Zermatt.

We had ridden a particular run home every day for a week - and it was a flat lovely piste - not much fresh cover, more known for it's corduroy is Zermatt. Anyhow, this one afternoon we rounded the corner and wham - there is this huge mountain in our way - we all came to a screaming halt thinking we had taken a wrong turn, and then we worked out it was a hill (covering all but a small sliver each side of the piste) deposited by the snow guns - but not groomed. We realized there were THREE of these things mid piste to negotiate, and as the sliver at the sides was really narrow we decided to go around the side wall of the hill - bad move. It was solid ice and getting an edge was a nightmare! The 2nd two hills we straight lined through the narrow sliver at the side of the piste (which also had a 'kerbing' of solid ice) - and noticed a lot of people struggling with the icy mountains that appeared mid piste over night.

So ... my apologies!

I DID have a negative experience with snow making (had just forgotten about it).

But the snow making at Falls Creek and Thredbo/Perisher (can't speak for the other Aussie resorts) was first rate!

I use to be a snow maker although it was some years ago and there was an additive which could be mixed with the water to enable us to make snow at temps of up to 2 degrees. Without it was really only possible at temps of -2 and lower. It was called Snowmax and from what I remember it gives the water droplet something to form/seed around as it comes out of the gun which helps it to form into a ice crystal before the droplet hits the ground hits the ground......well something like that if I remember correctly.