Oh Come ON!! - Bird's Nest Stadium to be Ski Resort

There are actually many places for Beijingers to get a taste of snow life. For the last couple of years there's been a small (~50m?) slope in Chaoyang Park, and there are a myriad of small artificial hills in the outskirts of Beijing (Nanshan, Shijinlong, Yuyang, Yunfoshan, Jundushan etc... etc...). You can ski by the great wall too.

And there's even a nighta option at WanlongBayi - a short bus ride from one of the subway stops in the west of Beijing.

Get further afield and there's some relatively reasonable slopes at Wanlong and Doulemeidi in Chongli county.

Am sure the Bird's nest will introduce a few more people to skiing, but looking at how crowded the slopes are at the weekend, I'm not convinced that's a good thing (for me at least haha).

The ones nearest Beijing are very small and crowded... last resort when I really need to get some turns in.

Doulemeidi and Wanlong are pretty ok - on a par with Karuizawa just about... Safety standards there are pretty good I think. Doulemeidi has the fastest lift in China - a 6-person detachable, very modern. Accommodation ranges from very basic but Cheap (chongli binguan for e.g.) to very expensive but convenient (e.g. Shuanglong at the Wanlong resort)

Wouldn't travel to China for the skiing, but if you're in China it's worth a go. Am looking at Hakubus and thinking that Beijing-Hakuba is a pretty worthwhile trip now with the bus direct from Narita. Bring on the SNOW!