Don't ask me what got into me, but as a first timer to Japan, I booked into a ryokan at Yudanaka (for the onsen I remember) and to go and watch the snow monkeys but we would like to ski. We depart early? new year's day, hoping to arrive at 10:00am or 11:00am latest, check into hotel and maybe do some skiing or visit the snow monkeys. We depart on 3rd Jan in the evening at 5:00pm. Would like to ski, please advise where, access to the place and ski hire, cost, etc. Thanks for any input.

If you are gonna be at Shiga Kogen, i don't understand what you are worried about. SK is the highest resort in Japan and usually has great conditions. I'd imagine that it will snow a decent amount between now and then so you should have no probs with skiing over New Year. I'm gonna be in SK over the same time, I can't wait!! smile

Do many people stay down there rather than up in the main SK area?

I would never really think about being there. Though I suppose it could be a good base for going to other places like Madarao/Nozawa/Myoko.

If skiing is your main purpose, then staying in the main SK area would be much more convenient/satisfactory. However, if you want the ryokan/monkey park experience with a side ski trip, Yudanaka would be more enjoyable. IMO.

Hi, thx folks. I am not worried about the snow but more the area I have chosen to stay. Unfortunately, I have aleady booked at the Yoruzaya Annex which was the only one available. I did not look at staying on the snow as I wanted the feel of a Japanese village which I had hoped in Yudanaka with thir onsens, rstaurants, etc. How does one go to Madarao Kogen, I am looking more at the convenience og getting to the ski area than the snow as I am sure ther'll be plenty.

Are there many restaurants open on the 1st and 2nd as we did not manage to get dinner included when we booked through japanican (very high rate compared to the hotel itself but hotel informed me that they had no rooms). Thx for any input - we are leaving in a few days, yippee!!!