Hi, I'm relatively new to Japan and am very keen on getting some days in this season.

I live close to Shinjuku, and unfortunately don't have a car.

So I am wondering if any one knows of resorts offering any kind of ride and transportation deals?

Last year I went to Gala / Yuzawa twice, however, for me taking the Shinkansen for a day trip is too expensive and something I wouldn't be able to afford to do as often as I'd like..

any help on reasonable transport info would be very greatly appreciated

Hi wave

Shinkansen is cheap but really quick hey.

Mr Tubby Beaver is your guy hopefully he will see this. You can get shinkansen + ski lift ticket deals at JR that work out much cheaper.

Might be good idea to enter the giveaways on this site too during the season, lots of freebies to be got.

friend

Hi wave ,

Shinkansen definately is really quick, but as my days off work are Thurs and Fri, I'm not so worried about arriving on the slopes asap (it would be nice of course), I'm more worried about cost.

I will definately enter the giveaways, thanks

Yeah JR have shink deals that include your lift ticket and sometimes your rentals (if you need em), if not usually rentals is only a little extra. at the mo a shink return deal to Kagura will cost you 9100 yen up to Dec 24th. After that it goes up to around 11000 yen.

But if its price that motivates you (as it does me) then you may want to look at the bus deals. They are very cheap. I prefer the overnight buses TBH, they should cost about 8000 - 9000 yen. You'd leave say the Wed nght at around 11pm from either Shinjuku or Ikebukero and arrive at the ski-jo around 6.30-7am. Gets you there for 1st lifts, especially during the week I'd imagine there would be very little other people around. Of course "sleeping" on the bus isn't the best and some people don't like it but i find after the first run, i forget how tred I am and concentrate on the pristine snow!! You usually leave the ski-jo about 4-4.30 and arrive back in Tokyo around 10pm. The bus companies go to loads of different resorts all over honshu so if you stay glued to the weather then you can book at the last minute and get the best conditions for that day

Also there are the day buses, you should be able to get one cheaper than 8 or 9 grand for the day trip though. Pretty sure I was around 6 grand last year, but I don't like them as you don't get there till 10am and on weekends the mountain is all cut up by that time