Welp, I made gamble a month ago hoping there'd be some heavy snowfalls in Hokkaido and I could capitalize on all that sweet Hokkaido for myself but it appears I was wrong and there's not much going on up there.

I bought I non-refundable airplane ticket to Sapporo so I can't call it off. Where in Hokkaido near Sapporo can I go where I can maximize my riding? I was initially set for Rusutsu, but there's only half a course open and it's not looking likely for any more to open up in this coming week.

Or am I screwed and will just have to settle for riding the same 600 meter course for the entire weekend?

I would suggest Sapporo Kokusai. They currently have up near 80cm and some lifts running. They have a fairly high base altitude so should get through the warmer weather reasonably well. And I believe public transport access from Sapporo is easy.

It was reasonably nice up top yesterday, but hard down on the bottom yesterday at Sapporo Kokusai. Catch the gondola up and session the upper half and use the slow pair lift. If you're out there on Thursday, I might see you.

Right now?

It's not particularly good, but there is some snow at least. A few places around Sapporo like Sapporo Kokusai, Sapporo Teine, and Kiroro opened last Saturday with limited runs. Onze soft opened on the 11th, but quickly closed when a warm snap melted their base. They're back open with one run now. It has been snowing more up in the middle around Asahikawa, so places like Furano probably have more snow than in the Southwest, but most of the places up there won't open until December. Things really won't pick up snow-wise for another couple of weeks, probably. The JMA supercomputer predicted a 70% chance of higher than normal temperatures in late November, and so far it is correct.

It was reasonably nice up top at Sapporo Kokusai today. There was about 5cm of new snow over the refreeze from Wednesday above the halfway point. The bottom was still horrid. I thought of something today whilst sitting on the bus to Sapporo Kokusai regarding the original poster's question - if you're relying on public transportation and don't have a rental car, the only place you will be able to access until December 05 will be Sapporo Kokusai. Even though Kiroro and Sapporo Teine have limited runs opened, there are no means to get to those places other than taxis ($$$) or private vehicles. Kiroro will have their free bus running from the JR Otaru station from then until regular bus service starts at the end of December. There are currently two buses running out of the Sapporo Chuo-bus Terminal at 07:30 and 08:30 making stops at the JR Sapporo bus terminal and the Keio Plaza Hotel before heading out of town. Hope this helps.