Even Snow Town Yeti has been open since the end of October. There are various ways to there, all of which include trains and buses, so it's not all that convenient. Surely, there must be snow at Karuizawa by now (even though it's guaranteed to be fake).

Snow snobs. razz

What someone who has never been on skis before needs is a gentle slope and an instructor, not navel-deep powder.

To that end, Kagura might not be such a bad option after all, come to think of it. The Gondola Course is very gentle and scenic, and Kagura does seem to have instructors from early on (at least, no starting date listed on their webpage). Whitening up nicely on the webcams, too.

That gondola course very probably won't be open this weekend. This morning Kagura was reporting 10cm. It has been raining down to town in Yuzawa all day, can't see that much accumulating. If they do open it will more than likely be from the top of the gondola + above.

I would be extremely surprised if they were offering lessons in English early on as well.

Sorry don't want to sound 'negative'!

Thanks again for all the comments...

Hopefully, either Kagura or Karuizawa will have some snow on 1st/2nd December, which are the dates we have set aside to try skiing.

Also, hopefully, there will be some english speaking instructors but if they can speak mandarin chinese, that would be fine too as we speak that as well.

My wife says that in the event skiing is NOT possible, then we may end up at the onsens enjoying ourselves!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I doubt that you'll find instructors who can speak Mandarin.
Yep, if you don't get enough snow to play in, go to the mountains anyway and have an onsen. thumbsup

There's a massive market for such. Time to hang up the teaching cane and get some Mandarin lessons in. If I was starting out as an instructor, defintely get some Mandarin in, then of course, go to China. THAT is the market 5, 10 years down the line.