Did anyone go to Hakuba Valley this weekend for skiing?

Just wondering - did anyone hit Hakuba 47/Goryu or Happo-One this weekend and how were the conditions. What was open at Happo - was it just the upper quad. What do you think would be better tomorrow 47 or Happo if they are both going to be open. I'll be up there tomorrow with a decent size posse and we'll be doing a little beer drinking (liquid courage) as well. Stop by and say hi - I'll be on teleskis mounted on K2 AK Launchers. Hope the weather stays nice tomorrow for some nice spring turns. Haven't skied since December.

Ocean11 - I was the winner of an all expenses paid trip to the Persian Gulf for 3 months so not much skiing for me. Looking to make the best of the end of the season. Looking to hit Goryu/47 tomorrow, Arai this weekend, Fuji the following week, and then up to Tateyama and the Japan Alps for some more backcountry skiing. So if you are out tomorrow - stop on by, we'll be burrying the beer in the snow, it will be ice cold, and I'm sure it will provide some highlights in the afternoon.

TS, went to Komagane today at the base of the Chuo Alps, and there's plenty of snow on the higher peaks still. On the local news though, there are lots of warnings about the danger this year - more snow than usual combined with late spring high temperatures.

I speck you do anyway, but take care...

Ended up hitting Happo-One today for their last day of the year. They were just riding the upper lifts and the skiing couldn't have been better for warm springs. Got a little behind because we could not find a store that sold beer up in Hakuba Valley - no go at 7-11 or the Lawson near Hakuba Village at Happo-One. Had to go down to the main street. My buddies and I armed with 6 packs of talls made way for the Happo gondola. At the bottom we were debating shorts. Put the pants on anyway - rode the gondola up, took pants off. Constructed snow cooler near the lodge at the top of the gondola. I couldn't believe how warm it was today. I would say somewhere 18C or so. The snow was soft "hero" snow. People were straight lining mogul runs, throwing helis, and backflips of jumps. It was a great vibe up there today. Definitely a great last day for Happo and first day for me since before Christmas. Looking to hit Arai this weekend. Anyone going to be up there?

I went to 47 on Saturday and it wasn't all that busy. The car park was full to bursting though.

Yesterday, we hooked up with some mates at Charmant Hiuchi. The halfpipe and a large kicker were still open at the bottom. We spent most of the afternoon on a picnic, but it was still ridable top to bottom, with the snow midway being pleasantly firm.

One guy we were with was turning lots of heads with his handmade asymmetrical tele skis from the US. "Scottybob's Bobtails". Check em out telepeople.

http://www.scottybob.com/

Hey NoFakie, is Charmant Hiuchi going to stay open til this weekend like Arai? I`ve read a few articles about the place and it doesn`t look that big. Are there any long-ish runs? Cheers

No, it closed on Monday.

The kicker at the bottom may still be hikeable.

During the season Charmant gets a lot of pow. Its like the Kogenashi (covered lift) part of nearby Arai and its conditional area, except that Charmant is open all the time. There are 500m or vert, so it's big enough to have a good time.