Hi Gareth.

Sorry mate I think we were taking over the other thread.

She is 12 and was diagnosed in August.

So we are just coming to terms with it she seems to be ok now although I am sure the anger will come.

Hi Seemore,

My sister went into cetatosis (sp?) at the start of the year, so that's how we found out she had type 1 diabetes. She was nearly 16 (at the time), so it's was quite a shock.

She's actually dealt with it really well. Once her body got rid of all the cetones (its taken a while), she's been able to balance her levels/injections out better with her diet. She still has treats, but it just means she has to watch them and not have them all the time (which considering the amount of obesity in this country, is not a bad thing). It also took quite a while for her to get decent energy levels, but now she plays soccer with us every weekend, and is a bit better for it.

She still gets upset occasionally, but take everything those silly "Your child/teen and diabetes" pamphlets say with a pinch of salt. In the end, you are her parent, and you'll know/be able to read and respond to her better than any broad statement pamphlet will.

seemore, if your daughter wants to come round and have a chat I'd be more than happy.

I dont see diabetes as too much of a chore or a disablement, just grab it by the throat and get on with life!!

Ive been type 1 since I was 9 (in fact, spent my 9th birthday in hospital with it LOL).

Fortuntely a positive viewpoint, and a love of exercise I've had so few problems that i'm fitter and healthier that 99% of the population.

I love chocolate, eat whatever I want etc etc, its all about balancing insulin, exercise and food - once you have the balance right, go for it!

They say the average male adult eats around 2500 calories per day, when I was in my early 20's I was doing bodybuilding and was eating around 9,000 calories a day.

In almost 40 years, Ive only been admitted to hospital once with complications and that was when I was 14.

So I'd be more than happy to chat to you and your daughter, its 80% attitude and the rest is easy!

Cheers thanks for the hints.

Yeah Gareth we will catch up eventually.

Wife going to Melbourne for the cup this weekend.

The next weekend off to Kalbarri for a couple of weeks.

Wife really would love to pick your brains but I think daughter doesn't seem that interested at the moment.

And I don't know if I want her to eat chocolate just yet.

But she swims squads so that helps her levels.