I'm planning to take a trip to Nagano around mid to late December, and I was wondering which resorts are best for snowboarding in SK and Nozawa?

Also, is there any recommended lodging at either places?

Thanks in Advance!

Brian

We are staying for our second time at SK next year. Although the Hotel Sunroute in Ichinose caters for more western guests, I reckon it is better to stay up closer to the lifts, as most of the other hotels are closer together, if you want to eat at other restaurants besides the one in your hotel.

As far as Snowboarding goes, depends what you want. We sb'ed are legs off this year and still didn't get to all the mountains.. There are a lot of runs to keep you occupied. I reckon you need at least a week and a half to do SK. A bit of rope ducking is available (so I hear), but the green and red runs are nice and twisty and rather enjoyable to fang down.

The only parts of Shiga Kogen that don't allow snowboarders are the 2 extreme area - Okushiga Kogen in the north and Kumanoyu and part of Yokoteyama in the south. The rest of the area is open for snowboarders and makes for a considerably bigger area than most other resorts.

Got to get this right guys. A buncha snow boarders up for it, done all the preparation, took the early train to get there, all pumped up, and...... no boarders allowed.

They'd be kicking down the ticket office.