This has annoyed me for a while now.

For me "off piste" describes the area near to the slopes that offers non groomed skiing - usually powder. This area is inbounds and patrolled.

Backcountry on the other hand I would say describes the area that is not in-bounds in the resort and not patrolled

And then there's "slackcountry" that I hear from time to time....

Off piste is pretty much as you describe it although it may not always be patrolled. In Niseko an area like Strawberry Fields is fully off piste and fully within the resort boundary but is not patrolled.

Slackcountry is in areas not patrolled but are easily accessible from the resort. So for instance climbing the peak at Niseko and heading out down the back bowls of Annupuri would be considered slackcountry. It's basically lift accessed backcountry.

Backcountry is generally on a mountain well away from a resort or a considerable hike away from the resort and yes is not patrolled. Climbing Youtei is an example.

I've been wondering this for a while as well. I always thought off piste was in between groomed runs, (like tree runs), where as back country meant going to the top of a mountain, then heading to the other side that isn't used for runs.

Speaking of this, is there any off piste/tree run snowboarding/skiing at Shiga Kogen? I would love to do some tree runs, but don't want to go too far from the main areas. I would also like to do it without getting my lift ticket confiscated.

Originally Posted By: stemik
Backcountry on the other hand I would say describes the area that is not in-bounds in the resort and not patrolled

And then there's "slackcountry" that I hear from time to time....

Is it fair to say that "Backcountry" (and "slackcountry") is anywhere outside the resort(s) boundaries or jurisdiction ?

"Slackcountry" is basically the same thing, although the conotations are that you didn't do much/any climbing to get to the "backcountry" ?

I am no expert, but everytime I have been on a guided "backcountry tour", we took a lift or two to get to the top at the start of the day only, then left the resort for the rest of the day.

Actually, Whistler had an area a few years ago that they called "In-bounds backcountry". No lifts but patrolled, so I now I am more confused than ever......

Yeah, what GN said. I'd say if you walk or take a short hike out of ski area boundaries and ski down to end up back at a lift, that's not backcountry. --More like slackcountry or sidecountry. But everybody wants to sound cool so they'll tell you they went into the backcountry. Whistler also wants to cash in on the "backcountry" cache so they used to call that 'flute' area backcountry before they put a lift up a couple of years ago. It's fine skiing but if you do multi-day ski treks into the wilderness you're probably gonna snicker a bit at the idea of calling 'flute' backcountry. (not that I've done any long treks recently)