going to book a mazda bongo van thru toocoo travel for hokkaido travel in january , we will be in the asahikawa / furano / asahidake / sahoro area's . now my questions .

1 - has anyone used this van in past trips ? or similar vehicle [ nissan vanette van ]?

2 - driving in hokkaido winter will be vastly different to oz snowy and n z skifields . we will have snow tyres and i see the vans come with 4wd . are there any real tips on driving besides slowly and breaking a lot earlier ???

3 - hear asahikawa gets very icy when the street traffic clears the surface snow away ?

thanks , all input appreciated .

Very different to driving on snow in Australia and NZ, the surface has a lot more grip, the dry snow makes it a much safer drive.

That said you need to look at the roads as the ice up quickly, once the surface is glazed its much more slippery.

The Roads in Hokkaido are much slower than Australia but you still drive far faster than you would expect and be used to when the roads here have snow on them, it takes a little getting used to.

You do not have snow chains

The biggest things to remember like here is drive to the conditions, when a car passes you put your wippers on before the cloud of snow hits the wind screen

Drive with your lights on all the time.

Leave a large space between you and the car in front

Brake with caution using the gears and brakes combined to slow.

Take care.

Originally Posted By: biri island
going to book a mazda bongo van thru toocoo travel for hokkaido travel in january , we will be in the asahikawa / furano / asahidake / sahoro area's . now my questions .
1 - has anyone used this van in past trips ? or similar vehicle [ nissan vanette van ]?

2 - driving in hokkaido winter will be vastly different to oz snowy and n z skifields . we will have snow tyres and i see the vans come with 4wd . are there any real tips on driving besides slowly and breaking a lot earlier ???

3 - hear asahikawa gets very icy when the street traffic clears the surface snow away ?

thanks , all input appreciated .

Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
Very different to driving on snow in Australia and NZ, the surface has a lot more grip, the dry snow makes it a much safer drive.

That said you need to look at the roads as the ice up quickly, once the surface is glazed its much more slippery.

The Roads in Hokkaido are much slower than Australia but you still drive far faster than you would expect and be used to when the roads here have snow on them, it takes a little getting used to.

The biggest things to remember like here is drive to the conditions, when a car passes you put your wippers on before the cloud of snow hits the wind screen

Take care.
Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum

Take care.

dont know what happened there but i did something wrong in my reply ?????????

thanks ausi for the driving tips .

yeah the bongo has been around for quite awhile , in oz its sold as the ford econovan i think ? in japan mazda sell a bigger version called the brawny bongo as well . seen a few around kitanomine outside the lodges .

I used to drive a Bongo Van - it was my first van when I was pregnant with the 3rd child. Traded it in after 2 years for a Chrysler Voyager and never looked back but it was a decent reliable people mover.

Mine did not look like the one in the picture though!