Hi wave

Been lurking and doing some reading and really into the idea of a possible trip to Japan.

One question I have, hope some in the know can help, is - in terms of skiable terrain how does Niseko and Rusutsu compare? I have seen course maps and stuff but wanted some real feedback. Is Niseko much bigger, thats the impression I get?

Cheers.

hmmm..... perhaps not.

Why either or?

Do both. It's very doable.

Perhaps you want to know where to base yourself. Then it's Niseko and do day trips to Ruts.

Cetainly do not recommend the other way round.

Niseko does in fact have numerically more and geographically longer runs, but Rusutsu has a significantly better and more logical lift arrangement. This is mostly due to the Niseko area being developed so long ago then added to and modified haphazardly, so there are old lift lines alongside new ones added as the terrain expanded. Rusutsu and places like Kiroro were developed more recently and set-up in one go, so the lifts work well to get you where you want to go, 1) quickly, and 2) without transferring between different lifts several times. You'll spend more time on the slopes at Rusutsu than sitting on lifts or queued up in lift lines.

Ezorisu is, as usual, spot on. The layout at Rusutsu is ace. And despite the fact that Niseko almost always scored more snow last season, Rusutsu cast a magical spell over me. So much terrain, so few people, such laid-back staff, and when it's too windy or crusty there is no end of wacky Japanese stuff to spin out on at the resort. From the life-size mechanical 'Dixie Dogs' to the glorious water show synchronised to 'Edelweis' (from The Sound of Music) in the lobby. Through in a talking tree, a decent sports bar and free internet, and you can easily keep your self amused until it starts snowing again.

I visited Rusutsu a dozen times from Sapporo, and then stayed at the Powder Lodge for a few weeks in February. I absolutely loved it. There are good fruit and veg stores down the highway towards Lake Toya, as well as a Co-op supermarket. There's a better than normal Seicomart right next to the lodge. The tree runs stay fresh for ages and the pistes are mostly wide and well-groomed. The walk from Rusutsu to Kimobetsu is excellent, with an excellent mushroom soup in the barn on the right on arrival.

Be warned however that 'highway life' (as we called it) is not for everyone. Rusutsu feels more like an Interstate Road Trip town than a tradish ski town. For a more well-rounded ski town experience, Niseko is the go. But for uncrowded fresh, silent contemplation of ice crystals and exploring abandoned cottages with two metres of pow wind-sculpted over them, Rusutsu is for you.