Die rich or die poor? (Or, "hoarding")

I agree M. My family is very much like that they are already dividing everything up and what is going to be theirs and all of a sudden are coming to visit mum and dad (which they haven't for the past 20 years). I am always there for my parents 24/7 and cook at least 2-3 times a week and take care of the property - Slashing, mowing etc.

I AM NOT INTITLED to any of their money or possesions. They earnt it and I would prefer that they spend it all before they go or donate it to a charity when they pass. I did want the old grandfather clock that had been passed down from my Grandfather to Mum but I was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't getting it wakaranai

If you have earnt it you spend it.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I did want the old grandfather clock that had been passed down from my Grandfather to Mum but I was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't getting it wakaranai

Tell me more!
Who said you cant have it, and why?

I have a similar thing with my Nan - We had a chat one day and she asked me if there was anything in particular of hers I wanted - her engagement ring (2nd marriage - it is like the Taj Mahal for your finger!)etc. I said "Nan, all I would really like is your turtle". Nan has a stuffed giant turtle - collected a long long time ago. As a child I used to lay on her floor and pat the turtle very gently (as it was an antique - so she told me). It reminds me of my Nan and it is a silly thing, but I would like it.

I dont think I would have a punch up with my brothers or my cousins over it though!

Grandad had the clock and when I used to visit as a little girl I would get so excited when it would chime. Then once my mum had it it was that beautiful ticking and chiming that filled out house. So it is purely a sentimental thing.

My brother in law has told me that they are getting it and there is no way he isn't!!!!! They also seem to think they are getting everything else.

Same there would never be a punch up over it I wouldn't do that to my parents I respect them to much.

My parents are in the fortunate position to have got much more than they could ever possibly spend and a lot of valuable property and have spent an inordinate amount of time with financial people planning where all their stuff is. It sounds like a nightmare but it will surely be worth it if they can minimise just how much the goverment steal off the family once they are no longer with us.

On another note, I know a few fairly wealthy people who have popped off and left everything to the church! My oh my.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
On another note, I know a few fairly wealthy people who have popped off and left everything to the church! My oh my.

Better that than the cats (but only slightly!)