Looking for a simple, easy to use beacon for the uninitiated. Has anyone used the Ortovox M1 or the Mammut barryvox transceivers. The M1 appears to be better, but is it as easy to use as the barryvox?

i've used the M1 for the past 2-3 seasons and love it. it is very intuitive to use and gives you a nice digital read out that tells you how far the victim is. However, you do need to have some skills in either the grid search or working off the vectors. once you have that down i think this is an easy piece of equipment to use.

i don't know anything about the mammut but i am hesitant...based purely on the fact that i know they make nice soft goods but their hard goods skills are still up in the air. with something like this i'm going to only trust/rely on someone who knows exactly what their doing. and for that ortovox has it pretty much dialed.

also look at the Arva 9000...the greatest story i've heard of was a kid getting it for x-mas, going out the next day with some friends, never used the thing, all got caught in a slide, and he was able to find them with zero experience.

my wife uses the barrvox its a piece of cake to use. set it up right and you will have no probs. the set up means you have to read the manual its not an out of the box onto the mountain job. Ill buy miore in the future.