thursday_57.jpg

The 308. What's great about it, is the trough 50 meters from the entrance. Ensures you unstrap and walk up to the racks.

or hobble over to the carpet, that'll take you up.

thursday_58.jpg

This is where my kid will get his ski debut, the bowl

thursday_56.jpg

Yeah... that is sensible - the necessity to unstrap and walk to the racks.

Ive seen some nasty crashes near racks/resturants where skiers/boarders come in smoking hot and someone unaware of them coming walks right in the way - once at Thredbo a kid carrying a tray with Spag Bol and a Coke was badly cleaned up.

Fault finding aside making a trough/dip/difficult to ski/board past area will eliminate that as a problem, making it more pleasant and safer for all.

unfortunately this particular part is flatter than Niseko's pancake and you can't get to the racks even at snail's pace. doh

Would probably need to eat more to repelnish all the energy expended to get there.

On the way out, however, you get enough speed to reach halfway up the ramp to Hana 1. But you have to prod like hell.

Weird! Evil doom-carpet bubble-tunnel from outer space! Looks like a prop from Barbarella ! I'd almost expect Bootsy Collins to be the lifite there! So you ride down to the bottom of the trough, go up the carpet, then ride down to 308?

I'll probably be up there somewhere around March 7,8,9.

Of course I've got one of the private onsen rotenburo rooms at the Hirafu-tei!

Cool. Nice hotel, shame about the metal staircase downto ace family.

The hana carpet takes you to 308, no need to ride down. The tube in the bowl faces 308, it's a different one.

Don't bother with Paddy's. All it needs is sawdust on the floor and you'd think you're in a hick town.

What's that place in the parking lot across the scary creek bridge at the bottom of the Family course? I always pass it on the way to Seicomart.

I always wonder about the windows half-buried in the snow in that space below the metal staircase and catwalk...

• 2 weeks later...

Huzzah! The upper lifts were closed on the 8th, but I made it over to Hanazono 308 on Monday the 9th and had me that Kani-ramen!

The snow conditions sucked, but at least the ramen was good!

My how everything has changed at the bottom of the family course! I saw the big brown condo. It does make it a little easier to walk to Seicomart and buy beer and crisps at the end of the day though! No more riding across the railing-less "bridge of death" over the river anymore though...