A bit OT perhaps, but a co-worker of mine recently told me that Vitamin E can help prevent frostbite. He had a tube of Vitamin E lotion that he applied to his toes, fingers, ears and nose before heading out on any bitterly cold and windy days. Has anyone heard of this as well, or is it an old wives tale?

Never heard of that one. I think a lot of creams have Vit E in it. Maybe the oil or lanolin barrier helps, I put lip chaps... If it gets that bad to frostbite, I head inside and rub myself to get circulation. luke warm water, never hot.

I was prescribed Vit E cream as a preventative for scarring after an operation on my ankle. It did not stop any scarring (That'd be too much to ask, I think) but I believe it reduced the severity. Of course, I have only ONE scar, so unable to do comparative tests, but I believe it worked to a degree.

Not sure if that is the same as preventing frost-bite, though.

I'm a type one diabetic, and poor control can ultimately lead to bad circulation in my feet etc (which can lead to gangrene and amputation if I'm really slack about it).

Researchers are now showing that taking folate improves circulation in the capillaries (folate is also typically taken by women who are attempting to fall pregnant).

Its dirt cheap too, a bottle of tablets are over the pharmacy counter (at least in australia), with a month's dosage costing around A$2

Hope you don't accidently get preggers!

Sounds like it deserves some experimentation. If it can keep my extremities slightly warmer by maintaining bloodflow to the skin in my hands and feet, I'm all for it!

Had a little time today so I did a quick search and turned up a few places that mention vitamin E as a way of preventing frostbite. Not a lot of details though. One example, http://www.metagenics.com/ADAM/33/000065.html .

Have never heard of folate before but it looks like it might be useful as well.

Thanks for the advice.