I'm heading to Niseko next week for 10 days of skiing and would like to hear from people who have been on what the best off-piste areas to ski are.

For the first few days of my trip I am by myself so cannot be too adventurous plus I do not have avalanche gear. Also, to access areas like Strawberry Fields, will I need avalanche gear if the avalanche danger is classed as low?

In terms of my skiing competence, I'd think of it as decent and can pretty much ski anything or at least attempt it.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated

Thanks

I wouldnt think it would be necessary to take avie gear through Strawberry's - my 8 and 10 yr olds were ripping it up in there in snowboard school....all without any backcountry gear. That is more 'side country'.

But do take care and keep and eye on the conditions of the day, you never know with Mother Nature.

For areas like Strawberry Fields you most assuredly do not need avie gear ever. I've been skiing in Niseko now for 6 seasons and pretty much only ski off-piste and out through the gates and have never had avie gear with me or ever had occasion to use it (even if I did have it).

There are so many tree areas you can ski all around the resort (that most people never know about) that I'd recommend getting a guide for a day. It'll make rest of your time here so much better.

There are a few areas in Niseko that I'd totally recommend avi gear. They are anywhere off the peak, especially the bowl off the back of the peak leading down to Annapuri (awesome run tho!). It's quite steep and the natural entry is a terrain trap. The other place is out the top gate above Hanazono. If the avi report doesn't say nice things about any area I'd totally avoid them, even if the gates are open.

I never used to use avi gear off piste at Niseko. Then a few things happened:

The first was I went on an avi course and found out how much I don't know.

The second was I set off a small slide while traversing out of the top gate above Hanazono. I was taking the long traverse across to the third gully and had got quite away ahead of my mates so I skied up off the traverse. When I was about 2m above the main traverse track a slab between me and the traverse track about 20cm thick released. Fortunately that was it, but showed that there was a weak layer that was easily triggered. Later I re read the snow patrol avi report and it specifically said to avoid that traverse. I had no business being there.

[Rant Mode]

More importantly I should not have been allowed to go beyond the first gully. In the Canadian model (a la Fernie) you are allowed off piste, however they limit where you can go during instability.

There is a real danger at Niseko. If the gates are open people flock out of them feeling totally safe. Almost no one has gear. Almost no one takes any notice of the avi report. I know. I was one of them. I was totally sure I was safe. The snow patrol are aware of this but are unwilling/unable to do anything about it. Fortunately Niseko doesn't slide very often so is relatively safe. But slides do happen and one day there will be an avoidable accident.

[/Rant Mode]

So the upshot is that it is up to you to keep yourself safe.

Having said that, I totally agree with GN about Strawberry Fields, the trees and the guide bit too. There are soooooo many secret stashes, esp around Annupuri.

My recommendations are (subject to stability!):

If you have any avi gear take it. Even the pros get caught. Go with others.

Explore the gullies off to skiers left of Hanazono - out the upper and lower gates. When you hit the track that goes along the bottom of the gullies you have to walk out!

Explore the runs off the two lower gates in Annupuri. One is skiers left near the base station of Jumbo Pair Lift #3 (be aware of the Stictly Off Limits bit) and the other is skiers right above the gondola. Both bring you out at the base of the Gondola.

If there's fresh snow they will keep you busy for a few weeks, especially if you don't mind traversing.

Have fun!

Originally Posted By: NewZealander Shrelter
Go to france.... Get sum real riding, Niseko too much snow for how flat it is. still love it though hehe

You obviously haven't got a clue about where the good slopes are or you're a snowboarder (and I'd encourage all snowboarders to go to France as well razz ) . KevyW the above comment is a great example of why it's such a good idea to get a guide. Many people who come here spend a week or so barely getting out of the Hirafu ski area let alone know where the really good areas are.

I'm still of the opinion that avi gear anywhere in Niseko, although certainly prudent, is a little over the top. Since the inception of the Niseko Local Rules as far as I know there hasn't been any deaths in the allowed areas nor any avi rescues as far as I can remember. That's around 7 years and many, many thousands of people heading out through the gates and off the peak. Pretty damned safe in my book. Sure there just might be an avi death sometime in the future but you'd have to be very unlucky if it was you.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, this is extremely helpful and gives me some peice of mind in terms of avalanches.

I'm pumped for skiing now and can't wait to ski the light and dry powder that is so widely talked about. This is the sole reason why i am going to Japan and not Europe (where it may be steeper) but the snow is not guaranteed, especially if you only ski a week or two a year.

I'll definitely be hooking up with a guide, don't suppose anyone has any recommendations?

Originally Posted By: NewZealander Shrelter
Go to france.... Get sum real riding, Niseko too much snow for how flat it is. still love it though hehe

I just spent 12 days in France and Switzerland. Awesome terrain but certainly not a patch on J Snow. I'm really not a fan of loud powder. I wish I had the money to hire some skinny skis. When the snow got hard and icy my fats were plain scary...