Hi Guys just been looking at the passes avialable on the internet and if I have read it correctly the JR East will easily get me towards Hakubu and Myoko etc but will not allow me to get to Kyoto??? If thats the case how can I best come prepared to go Narita- Myoko (in one day for 6 nights), then to Nozawa for a week (presume using buses), then Kyoto for a few nights, then Habuka for 10 nights, then Tokyo for four night??

As always my sincere thanks in adavance.

The JR railpass will get you on any JR train doesn't matter which JR company. You have to buy it before you come to Japan in Perth you can get one from HIS TRAVEL PERTH, Upper GF-East 573 Hay Street and then get it validated at one of the major train stations, I think you can do it at Narita, definitely at Tokyo, Shinjuku, Shinyokohama and some others. The ticket is not be valid on Nozomi Shinkansen.

Check out http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

The JR East Pass is great value because you can buy it at Narita and use it 4 sep. days within a month. The JR Pass has to be seven consecutive days. I would catch the the express train from Itoigawa-Kyoto and back. A bit longer but cheaper. Then use your JR East pass for the other legs.

You can catch a Keinan Bus from Myoko to Nozawa