OK. My old video camera is a Sony that uses digital video cassettes or memory cards which don't really hold much. I've been transfering data from tape to computer using those big fire-wire cables.

Seems like current video cameras store the data digitally on disks and stuff instead of those old tapes. I'm looking at buying a new video camera right now and don't know much about the new storage media, etc.

I can pay up to around $500 or a bit more. I don't think I need high definition - seems too bulky for the computer.

Wondering what people recommend... smile

I have a hard drive video. People here have said that the HDD may not take knocking about, such as falling, too well. Point taken, as the read/write head is mechanical and physical abuse does do damage.

There are flash cards that are 16GB. That is plenty for a day's shoot. If I was in for a new one now, I'd get a Hi-Def, hard drive with flash card capability. Hi-Def because no point in hanging on to legacy when I'm gonna change my TV in a few months.

Yeah, I'm worried Hi-Def would be too bulky to edit on computer. I was thinking getting one with a big HD anyway but I don't treat my equipment very well. - I inevitably end up knocking it around a fair bit.

I got mine before last ski season and it is a HDD version. I like it, though most of the time I actually filmed in standard mode to make them not so heavy. I really shout study it all more and get more into it, still very superficial what I know.