Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm one of the extremecarving rider (Jacques Rilliet) and I wanted to answer Zwelgen concerning the security in extremecarving.

This sport is very safe. you cannot really fall because you are already leaning.

In fact, the only danger is from other people coming from behind.

See also our safety page: http://www.extremecarving.com/tech/safety.html

Which says:

-The danger number one is the crash with other users, because your head is at the same height than the skis and shoes. So don't rush in a slope full of people and have a look uphill before starting.

-The huge strength on the board may sometimes break a binding. When it happens, lift the leg which is still on the board over you, to avoid any contact with the snow. Try to break with your hands.

-Protect your head and eyes! In extreme carving, the head come close to the snow and get lots of projectiles. So wear a cap or, better a helmet, and goggles (keep your sunglasses for sitting outside of the the restaurant!).

Bizarre stuff!

clap.gif

Hi Jacques,

I am not at all attempting to refute you safety info, just adding my initial thought when I was looking at the pictures.

I did think of shoulder injury when I saw the heel side turn. The arm seems to be in a position that would not allow any further backward movement by the shoulder. The threat I saw was losing the edge and having your 'layed out arm' catch in the snow whilst your body maintained momentum, thus attempting to bend the shoulder further backwards.

The backside turn by the dude in the blue jacket on the previous page of this thread is a good example of what I mean.

I am a natural foot rider and I think I am very quick to notice anything that might hurt my gammy left shoulder from last season, hence noticing the heelside turn.

ps - Jacques, had a look at your member info: I was in Switzerland last season and met a bunch of hard boot riders and all of them were engineers (of the aerospace variety). One of the skiing members of this forum is also an engineer and right good at hard carving as well. Carving seems to appeal the the smarter riders amongst us.

This might explain why Ocean11, badmigraine and....ahem... myself are all interested in carving it up ;\)

Hi fantastic,

Our safty pages explain how to ride in a safe way (absolute safety doesn't exist of course).

So if you throw yourself on a crowded piste full of skiers that are running at 100 km/h, you will certainly have a problem...

If one of your binding break and you try to stop with the edge of your board, sure your leg (the one that is still on the board) will not like it.

Anf if you lay down turns without gogles and hat, you will get a lot of snow directly on your face. wakaranai.gif

zwelgen and db, your are right to worry about your shoulders. But in fact what sometimes happens is that the hand meets a snow heap and is pushed back along the side of the body. It never happened to us that it has been dislocated. Otherwise we would not have been able to extremecarve since 1991 without any injury. But it's true that neither Patrice neither Nils nor me have really week shoulders.

Have a very nice extremecarving winter