can anyone point me in the direction of some cheap (ish) hotels that arnt too far from tokyo airport? i land at 11pm so i dont wanna be dealing with tube rides. just wanna find a bed. An can some one tell me the average price of a beer???

Prob 500 yen for a mug is normal, anything under is great anything over and its time to move on!!

The airport is actually a fair bit outside of Tokyo, the city of Narita is prob your best bet for a hotel near to the airport and some beer places without having to venture far. I think its 1 or 2 stops from the airport on the train

A lot of the hotels have shuttle buses from Narita itself, but around that time of night they will be infrequent or might have finished already. I think some will come and get you if you tell them in advance.

A few of the big hotels are along the highway, kind of in the middle of nowhere. Around Narita station there is a little town with izakayas, ramen, convenience stores etc.

500 yen for a beer sounds ok. Is that in the tokyo area? does it get cheaper the further north you go or not? (im tryin to figure out my budget, an its usually right when i use the price beer as a guide believe it or not)....

Ive searched on hostel world for places to stay an from what i gathered is the average charge in a hostel/backpackers is 1800 to 3500 yen a night. would this be relative to cheap hotels aswell? (i have looked, but as im sure u can understand there are alot.)

Also, one more question, Ive been told that visable tatoo's can cause alot of offence to locals. Ive heard that your not allowed into onsens. Can anyone shed some light on this sublect? As one of the reasons for my trip is to see as much of the culture as possible.

It can actually get more expensive if you are in the middle of nowhere, expect to pay about 600-650 on the slopes for a beer. There are places in Tokyo that sell beer for that, sure BUT the places that you will prob be in will be around 600-700 yen for a beer. The hostel sounds an ok price.

Tattoo's are in fact still taboo and some onsens do prohibit those with tattoo's as do swimming pools and gyms. However one thing you can do, depending on how big your tat is, is cover it up with some gauze and surgical tape. Don't tell them its a tat, if they do ask (which they won't) then say it was some minor surgery or something.

I think the thing that throws out your beer plan is that you can get a 500ml can out of the vending machine for 300Y. I found we were paying less that 500Y for most of the restaurants we went to. (One place we went in Tokyo on the first night we landed, got a stein of beer, big bowl of miso ramen and gyouza for about 1200Y)

ah... thats all good. ive heard that its not so cheap in japan off alot of people but then others say its not bad.

hows the snow conditions in the north at the moment?? we had just under a meter fresh fall over sunday/monday.... perfect riding weather the last two days.....

I have stayed at Narita a few times and I'd recommend staying in Narita town itself rather than at the airport. With travellers in mind, there are a number of very reasonably priced business hotels close to the 2 stations (JR Narita and Keisei Narita) in the centre of town. From there to the airport it is a matter of a few minutes only by train or bus.

I stayed at the Center Hotel Narita a few times - I seem to remember paying about 7,000 yen per night there which is pretty reasonable. There are others as well.

If you stay in Narita check out the Barge Inn - nice big pub with live music, a choice of food and lots of air stewardesses letting their hair down.... ;-)

SdS

cheers... i found a hostel in narita where the owner omes an picks u up even when its a late arrival like mine. an its around 20 euro per night which is sweet. Im only plannin on stayin one night, then headin over two Nagano.