snowboarder101 - it's a very friendly place and from my experience, there's always a mixed and welcoming crowd staying there. A lot of resident and visiting gaijin, and some Japanese as well.

Escal Plaza, which is the main lift base for Goryu, is about 10 minutes walk up the road from Hakuba Alps Backpackers. It is walkable, but if you want to conserve your energy for the slopes, you can either catch a passing resort bus (they are free) or possibly get a lift up from the owners. Goryu connects to Hakuba 47 close to the top of the lifts - 47 has a park and is quite boarder-oriented.

Happo is a 15 minute drive away, further down the valley, so not that close, but again, usually someone's heading over there in the morning and you can catch a lift.

Enjoy Hakuba.

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
snowboarder101 - it's a very friendly place and from my experience, there's always a mixed and welcoming crowd staying there. A lot of resident and visiting gaijin, and some Japanese as well.

Escal Plaza, which is the main lift base for Goryu, is about 10 minutes walk up the road from Hakuba Alps Backpackers. It is walkable, but if you want to conserve your energy for the slopes, you can either catch a passing resort bus (they are free) or possibly get a lift up from the owners. Goryu connects to Hakuba 47 close to the top of the lifts - 47 has a park and is quite boarder-oriented.

Happo is a 15 minute drive away, further down the valley, so not that close, but again, usually someone's heading over there in the morning and you can catch a lift.

Enjoy Hakuba.

The nearest train station is five mins walk if you want to go to Hakuba station and catch the shuttle to Happo. Also, talk to the owners if you want to go to the family resort, San-Osaka, as they will hook you up with a discount pass that includes a shuttle to the station.

Great people, been around for ages, they run the local bar/club so they know whats going on, nice onsen (whoops! jacuzzi)....

Goryu opens tomorrow 21st. Maybe just the flat bit at the top though.

47 opens too, but I doubt they'll be connected. 47 normally open the park lifts first.